1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting EHD for PC usage?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by davethestalker, Mar 27, 2009.

1. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    How can I format my EHD so I can use of for other tasks? I'm not asking whether or not the DVR data can be saved. I just want to format the EHD in FAT32.

I have right clicked on My Computer\Manage\Disk Management. The drive is visible (listed as Disk 6), but it's not labeled. When I right click on one of the 3 partitions (1GB, 500GB, 430GB) the only options I have for each is "Delete Partition". When I right click where it says, "Disk 6", I can go to Properties or Help. By going to Properties, I still cannot find a simple "Format" function.

I've searched this board and have not found the info I need. It may be buried somewhere. I think the process needs to be included in one of the stickies for EHD.

Really frustrating.

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    If you don't care about the data on the partition, have you tried deleting it and then just creating a new fresh one and formatting that partition. Been a while since I have played around with partitions but it would be something I would try next.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I could be wrong, and I haven't tried yet myself since I don't have an old drive I need to do this to yet... but I suspect you will have to delete the partitions and then let the operating system create new partitions to format.

It is likely the Dish-created partitions are recognizable by Windows as partitions but not usable.

I've experienced this in the olden days of computers... and frankly when you don't care about losing the data it's just plain simpler to delete the partitions and start over cleanly anyway.

4. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    What's so bad about this is WD has software specifically for restoring a Fat32 drive. BUT, when I run it, it says that the drive is too small. As if it's the wrong software for my drive. Naturally, WD support is closed for the night. I've been fighting with this all day today. :(

Thanks guys, I'll just delete it.

It only gave me an option to format it as NTFS. I suppose that was it's original format. It will be used to back up my data on my PS3. I know the internal PS3 drives must be Fat32.

5. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
  6. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    The partitions were created by the Dish EHD format. Anytime you want to make a drive one large one, you must delete all existing partitions. Pretty much all operating systems will honor the drive partitions when the drive was used previously. So, always delete existing partitions and re-partition the way you want and then format each partition.