1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting hard drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RoyGBiv, Nov 18, 2008.

1. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I have an HR22, and because of some problems I'm having with playback freezing (posted previously with no significant improvement over the past 6 weeks), I have decided to try formatting my hard drive.

I have read previously that to format the drive you press "rec" and "down" buttons on the front panel after the initial welcome and "just a few seconds more" screens when the screen goes black. The record light will light as the format occurs. This does not seem to work on an HR22. Or at least, I can't get it to work.

Does anyone know if this combination works on an HR22, or is there some other way I would format the hard drive?

Thanks for any help.

SMK

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Menu->Parental, Fav's & Setup->System Setup->Reset->Reset Everything

This should be what your looking for.

Mike

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There has alway been some question about what is the difference between the "reset everything" and the reformatting.
    It's been a very long time since I've done either so things may have changed.

I did the reset everything, then press & hold the record & down arrow when it rebooted, until the record light lit.

From reading the OP post, it seems they might have waited too long to press the buttons. As with forcing a software download, there is only a "brief window" at start up where you can do it, before it times out and it's too late.

4. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I could be wrong but since you lose everything (including settings and SLs)with "Reset Everything", I thought it was a reformat.

I guess it could be like "Quick Format" and disk isn't scanned for errors prior to formatting leaving bad sectors in use.

What's the linux version of chkdsk?

Anyone else got any info as what "Reset Everything" means?

Mike

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    From the time it takes to reformat, it can't be anything more than a "quick format".
    In the reset everything, it seems to "simply" delete the file tables.

Back in the "dark days" of the HR20, I read/worked with a few posters who had problems [DUH] and would reset everything, but the problems would continue. Then they'd do a reformat and clear them up.
    This lead me to start with a reset everything followed by the reformat and have great results with some very troublesome DVRs.
    The reformat alone doesn't clear the chips, so "it seems" in the PC world, reset everything is like clearing the BIOS [followed by a "dump" of the hard drive] and the reformatting is a quick format.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I tried to reformat my R22 when it would not take an update. I lost everything, even though the record light never came on and the process did not seem to take any longer than a regular download.

It did fix the problem, however.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not sure the "reformat" (button pushing) process even works on all models of the Plus series DVR. I know it originally worked on the R15.

I was advised that the "reset everything" is the preferred, and more comprehensive, procedure. If you have access to the menu structure, then you want to do the "reset everything" rather than a "reformat".

The "reformat" button process was meant only to provide some means of trying to recover the DVR if you were not able to access a menu at all.

Neither of the two procedures actually performs a drive reformat, other than maybe re-writing the file allocation table.

Carl

8. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    So it probably just rebuilds the FAT & MBR(the correct terms for linux?).

That might explain why none of that worked on my HR21-100. I was having the same issues and OP and nothing helped.

I finally had to install an eSATA drive and now all is good. :)

Mike

9. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    That appears to be the case even with a brand new drive.
    AFAIK, these things never do the kind of "look at the whole HDD" formatting that we see with Windows formatting.
    I assume they just define the partitions they want, set up a few tables, and that's it.

I'm not sure what the diff would be between deleting the table info vs. a reformat, since their format op doesn't seem to do much.
    Perhaps a linux-y person among us will know...

10. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Well, maybe I missed the "window of opportunity," but I did it twice on the HR22 at the exact time the screen went blank, and nothing happened. I am going to try a "reset everything" now and see if that helps the problem, though I doubt it is a HDD issue. Here is what happens:

My problem is with recording programs periodically freezing (in my previous post I describe it exactly http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=143574 ) but not locking up the DVR. Last night on two different machines (the HR22 mentioned above, and an HR20-700) a hockey game I was recording froze while I was watching. If I press "stop" I can restart the program, and I can press other keys while the recording is frozen, and they work normally. If I restart the same program, it will usually freeze again a few minutes later than it did the first time, and at that point any recording I try to watch only gives me the delete/no delete choice. Other keys will still work, and I can watch live TV including using the buffer without problems. At that point there is no option but to reboot to be able to watch any recorded programming, and I can do a menu reboot without difficulty. After rebooting, I can usually watch the program that was freezing without problems, and any other program which gave me the delete/no delete option now plays fine.

I had saved both recordings of the hockey game which had frozen periodically last night. This morning I started them both from the beginning, and they played through perfectly. It seems unlikely this is a HDD problem, but I'm going to reformat it.

SMK

11. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I got my R22-100 to reformat as soon as the lights go out after selecting reset everything.I pressed the record button(make sure you can still see the record light) and the down arrow.Keep holding the buttons in until the record light comes on.When you release the buttons look at the TV screen it should say reformatting hard drive.;)

12. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Last evening I did a "reset everything." I also had it re-download the NR software as it powered back up. I am not sure "reset everything" really does reset everything, because as I started doing guided set up again, it already knew my zip code. I do understand that this information is not on the hard drive, but it didn't exactly restore the DVR to "as new out of the box" as claimed. So, I think I might want to reformat the drive, and I will consider trying it again on Saturday morning using this technique. .

SMK

13. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    MKE2FS creates the file system. Equivalent of DOS FORMAT. There is a switch to do an extended sector check but I doubt that it is implemented.

FSCK does the file system check and repair. Equivalent of DOS CHKDSK.

BADBLOCKS is an additional program to check the integrity of the drive. Extensive. It takes forever.

For more, look here;

http://linux.die.net/man/8/mke2fs
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/fsck
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/badblocks

14. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    One additional question. Will the drive only reformat if you do a "reset everything" before pressing rec and down while it is rebooting, or will it do it anytime you restart? Maybe that was my problem. I was pressing rec and down after a regular restart. I will try over the weekend to do it after a reset everything.

Thanks again.

SMK

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    [Long ago] I did a reformat without the reset everything.