1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jolliec, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jolliec

Jolliec Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    I have tried this procedure like 20 times and it does not reset my box. Is there something I am missing here?

When I hold down the buttons, I do notice that the Record light turms RED for like 3-5 seconds then the unit seems to restart, but then it just goes thru normal startup procedure again. ihave tried holding down for longer, holding down easlier, nuttin.

This will make the unit virgin, as if never installed. You will have to do a complete setup of EVERYTHING as if the unit just came out of the box. If you're not comfortable with this level of troubleshooting, don't do it. This is a LAST RESORT technique.

This info is from the D* Tech Tips site

Instructions for doing a FULL FORMAT (you lose all settings and recordings). This will attempt to clean and prepare your hard drive:

1. Press the red reset button

2. You wll see the "Hello Welcome to DIRECTV" screen.

3. Then you will see the "Almost There" screen.

4. When you see the "Almost There" screen, on the HR20 front panel, PRESS and HOLD DOWN (at the same time) the RECORD button and THE DOWN ARROW button, until you see the "Hello Welcome to DIRECTV" screen (Note: the box will reboot during this time, this is normal).

5. DO NOT unplug/reset or interrupt power at this time! The estimated wait time until you see the "Hello Welcome" screen after pressing and holdingdown the Record & Down Arrow buttons could take UP TO TWO MINUTES. Average time is 1 minute.

6. At this point the box has rebooted and the drive has been reformatted.

7. Then you should see the 1st guided setup scree, the language selection screen, in about 5 to 6 minutes.

8. Continue installing as normal

Hope this helps.

2. Jolliec

Jolliec Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    Just checked MyVOD and my shows are gone but it never went to setup like a new box would?

3. mckeemike505

mckeemike505 AllStar

May 11, 2006
    I don't believe I had to go through the guided setup when I did this to mine a couple of days ago either. Hope it helps you though it fixed most of my issues.

Mike

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Record + Down does not reset everything, it won't go thru guided setup. This will just reformat (clean) the hard disk.

To force HR20 to do a complete reset and go thru guided setup you have to use the "reset everything" option from the menu, at least that's the only way I know of.

5. fedora

fedora New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Mine stops at "Step 1 of 2: checking sattelite settings...This will take a few minutes." Stays there indefinitely.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Reformatting will clean the drive but doesn't clear the memory chips.
    I've done both & talked to tier 2 tech support about which or what to do, for what.
    Going into the setup menu and then down to reset, you have three options:
    reset recorder [like the red button reset],
    reset defaults [loose some of your settings],
    reset everything [this is what clears everything: all of your setting, recordings, & setup info].
    Since the "everything" resets more than doing a reformat, I asked the tech "why would you do the reformat?" After some discussion, he said it was there if the receiver wouldn't boot [hangs at one of the boot screens]. Using the front panel reformat would let you get to the setup menu so you could then do the reset everything.
    So, if you are having problems and want/need to get a "fresh start": watch all of your recorded programs, then go into the setup menu & find the reset everything. After the reboot, you will find yourself at the setup guide just like it came out of the box, but with the current software still retained.
    Now this will be different from when your receiver was first installed because: then it was setup and after the software was downloaded.
    Doing a reset everything starts with the new software & then goes through the setup.
    If my receiver was really acting up: I would do the reset everything, go through the setup guide again [add my zip code] and the for good measure do the front panel reformat. To date I haven't needed to do both, but there have been members that did the reset everything, still had some problems & then did the reformat & now are having good results.
    I'm testing two receivers: one "brand new out of the box" & the other was "defective" [where it would not record shows at random] so I did a reset everything. These were installed/setup a month ago. Since then the "new" one has missed one recording & the "defective" one hasn't missed a recording, had a lockup, etc.

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Fedora do you have a network cable plugged in? If so, disconnect and try a RBR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.