1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refreshing AM-21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aa9vi, Jun 26, 2013.

1. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    What's the process to refresh the AM-21 channels from scratch? I did the RBR, I uplugged the box, I disconnected the antenna. I deleted the channels then redid an initial setup. I am still unable to get some channels back into my guide that should be there. I remember there is a specific set of steps but I forget. Can someone remind me?

2. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    wow... no one knows?

3. flaktastic

flaktastic New Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I think initial setup is an option in the list and there's another that says restore defaults. Try the restore option then do initial setup again.

4. gcd0865

gcd0865 Legend

Jul 23, 2008
    Sometimes, you have to do several sequences of clearing the memory and re-doing initial setup to get the system to get all the OTA channels in. Mine does that sometimes too. You may also have to redo/reset/repopulate any OTA channels that are checked or unchecked in any "Favorite" channel listing one or more times, but eventually, you should be able to get all channels into memory.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Another thing to try is to redo the antenna setup with an incorrect Zipcode.
    Then do it a gain with your proper Zip.

6. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    yep. I forgot that worked one time. thanks.

7. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    Well, it appears to be a firmware issue. I am using national release firmware on both the HR-23 and HR-24 and both have the same issue. I have also tried entering in new zip codes to clear out the cache of old channels to no avail. In fact, the locals from the new zip codes won't even load in correctly. Only a small number of "new" out of area zip code channels make it to the edit channels list. So, it seems that the latest firmware isn't retrieving the primary and secondary market list of channels properly. It is sort of stuck in a cobweb infested limbo channel list from over a year ago.

What a joke the shAM-21 is... 3 years later and they still haven't updated the Chicago (DMA #3) locals properly. And by that I am referring to even the high power stations of at least 100 kW ERP, not just the rinky dink LPTV translators.

I'd call DirecTV to try and work with them on this but I have wasted my time before with that. They have people that drool on their Etch-A-Sketches there who have no idea how to even use the shAM-21 properly. I think they may be from the cast "Idiocracy."