1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? regarding connecting a Slingbox Pro w/ HDTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Lord Vader, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I've had my Slingbox Pro connected to an old SD TV for a year or so. Tomorrow I'm getting a new HDTV and would like to connect my Slingbox to this. However, after thinking about it, I wondered if this is possible. The TV will be connected to an HR21-100 via HDMI (it's a bedroom TV so no A/V system involved), but as we know, Slingboxes don't have HDMI pass-throughs. Sling tech support told me I'd have to have the TV pass through to the Sling then to the TV, which cannot be done using a HDMI connection. They suggested using component connection, which I'd prefer to avoid.

So, my question: can one realistically use a Slingbox Pro with an HDTV or does one have to sacrifice something in order to actually use the Sling? If not, what is the best way to connect a Slingbox so that I can (a) watch my TV and (b) have the feed still go through the Sling?

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Hook it to any of the other outputs.. they are all live..

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That's what I thought. On the HR2X series, aren't all outputs live?

So what I should be able to do is connect the HDMI to my TV directly, then connect a second set of component or composite or S-video (either one is OK w/ me) to my Sling, right? This way I'd be able to get a video feed to the Slingbox and see my HDMI feed on my TV, correct?

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    yep

5. theninny

theninny Cool Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Yes, that will work. I have the older slingbox. My tv is connected via HDMI and my slingbox is connect via the standard set of cables.

Yellow - Video, Red and White - Sound

Is not worth connecting use the component cables, unless you plan to streaming inside your local network, HD streaming is not supported over the internet.

-LC

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup....that's my hookup here too....both at the same time.

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I have my TV hooked to HDMI and the Slingbox on component. There is one problem though...if I try watching something on 101 on the Slingbox it won't play because the HR is also hooked up to HDMI and won't get the response back from the TV.

8. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    yes works great this way

9. dmclone

dmclone AllStar

Dec 8, 2006
    I have an older Sling and I just use the S-Video.

I have componet powering a small tv in front of my treadmill
    HDMI powering my Projector
    S-Video powering the Sling

Works perfect.

10. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Just FYI:
    Although you are correct concearning the Slingbox Pro, the new "Slingbox Pro HD" model is capable of streaming HD content to remote connections.

11. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    HR21 to the HDTV using HDMI
    HR21 to the Slingbox Pro using any of the available inputs. Personally I have it connected via component video; however the s-vhs connection will give a comparable picture without the extra expense of having to purchase the HD connect cable.

12. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    But unless the "remote" is inside your network, what kind of upstream bandwith will be necessary?

13. ahintz

ahintz Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I would disagree. I have tested my HR20 both via S-video and via component, streaming over the Internet to work, and I can definitely see a quality difference between the two. Now, is it streaming HD? Of course not, but starting from the highest-quality source will get you the best-quality from the stream. Just my 2 cents.

14. bagdropper

bagdropper AllStar

Sep 24, 2007

They recommend 1.5mbps...considering they recommend 256 for analog but it takes around 768 to get a decent pic on anything larger than 20", I'd bet it'd take prolly around 2gbps.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    OK, guys, is there something I'm doing wrong? I've connected the HR21-100 to my TV via HDMI--check, no problem.

I've connected the HR21 to my Sling via S-video out on the HR21 to S-video in on the Sling, and connected the red/white composite cables for the audio portion of things--check. Problem. I'm getting no video signal on my Sling.

Is there something in the HR21's setup where I have to "turn on," or make live the other video outputs? I'm sure I've connected this setup properly, too.

16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    nope.. are you sure your "watching" the right input in slingplayer?
    under veiw I think..

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    First...is the network red LED on the Slingbox Pro front panel staying solid red?

Next, is the HR21 S-Video out going to the S-Video in on the Slingbox?

Does the HDMI out on the Slingbox goes to the TV input?

Also, here is their good troubleshooting site...

http://support.slingmedia.com/go/pro-pro-ts

18. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    oh, one more thing: your hooked to the input on slingbox not the output by accident?

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Lord Vader - any success yet?

20. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Yup. If you're familiar with the Slingbox Pro, looking at it from the rear, my S-video from the HR21 is connected to the S-video in on the Sling's far right side. The R/W audio composite cables from the HR21's first row of R/W/Y out are connected to the R/W of the Sling's IN, to the immediate right of the S-video IN. (I've tried both sets of composite-OUTs from the HR21; neither works.)

Yes

See first answer above.

There is no HDMI out on the Slingbox Pro to use.

I was on the phone yesterday with Sling tech support for 70 minutes, and even THEY couldn't figure out the problem. They said the Slingbox's composite inputs "were probably defective," and they offered to replace the unit at no charge. Considering all I did was change satellite receivers from an HDVR2 to an HR21-100, I doubt the Sling's composite inputs suddenly and instantly went dead.

See above.

None yet. :mad::confused: