1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Regional Sports Networks that are "part-time HD"

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RL_Bynum, Apr 29, 2013.

1. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Thinking of switching from DirecTV to Dish and I noticed that the Regional Sports Networks I'd be getting are listed as "part-time HD." How does that play out?

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Dish has a certain number ot TP's allotted to carry live games in HD on their RSN's.

There are not enough HD TP's to carry all of the RSN's full time, at times there are not enough TP's to carry all Hockey, basketball and baseball games in the spring and some college football games in the fall.

The games on the east coast usually get carried in HD (first come first serve) and as TP's become available for the west coast they are joined in progress. Sometimes the slot never gets an HD TP so the game is SD period.

Perhaps when Dish gets Western arc converted to 8PSK that will free up some more TP's for more RSN games in HD, but I do not see Dish offering all the RSNs full time in HD within the foreseeable future, especially since there are more and RSNs popping up all the time.

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Not sure what they've done but it definitely seems to be better this past year. For a while it seemed that I was only seeing games maybe just over half the time in HD, but this past season it's been at least 90% of the time, maybe more, I can only remember seeing one game in SD only. This was on Fox Sports Indiana, which really is just a sub-channel of Fox Sports Midwest, so if I'm getting almost all games HD on that I'd be surprised if there's many people getting SD too often anymore as it would seem to me that little Fox Sports Indiana wouldn't be too high on the priority list.

4. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH added a few more slots for games last year but they still only have 24 channel slots where a game can be placed and more than 30 channels wanting that space.

6. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I you pay for sports tier, do you only get your RSNs or do you get all of them?

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As long as you are on AT120+ or above, you get your local RSNs bundled in with your package... IF you want the out-of-market RSNs, then you can subscribe to multi-sport and get all of them. Of course, the professional sports that air on those RSNs are likely to be blacked-out for you... but the college sports are not.

8. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I got Dish installed last Friday. I got the 200 package and the multi-sports pack and was disappointed to see that the pack didn't include the NBC Sports Network. It appears that I have to bump up to the 250 package to get NBCSN. I should get the Strike Zone channel, though, correct?

9. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I think the Strike Zone channel comes with the multisport package.

I have AT250 and do not get it.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I have Strike Zone in SD in the Top250 package.

11. Grippy

Grippy Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    da UP
    What is a TP?

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    TP = transponder

13. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was hesitant to switch to Dish because I was worried that many of the Nationals and Orioles games on MASN would be only available in SD. Every game I've called up so far has been HD. Do miss ESPNU being in HD (which it is on DirecTV).

14. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    What is the channel #?

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    East coast RSN's do not have the TP problem that West coast teams have, because the east coaste/midwest games are not over when the west coast games start, so games out west get SD or HD JIP.

16. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have 2 RSNs in Southern NH - NESN and CSNNE. Occasionally I *do* find a Red Sox game being broadcast in SD in the fall when there's more hockey/basketball overlap. Not so much this past fall due to the NHL lockout but the year before it DID happen.

17. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I'm going to dispute that. It's been at least three years, maybe longer since a Red Sox game was only in SD and that includes day night games, and even last minute scheduled games. I think you didn't look hard enough, when the Red Sox are on NESN alternate, the HD channel they are on is not 100% of the time right next to the SD channel for some reason. First time I found that was two years ago I think.

For the question on what channel strike zone is on it's the regular SD channel, when I dropped the sports pack I lost the HD channel but the SD one remains.