1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reliability of your system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Carl Spock, Dec 14, 2007.

Compared to other consumer electronics you've owned, is your current system reliable?

1. Very reliable - it always works

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pretty reliable - I rarely have problems

122 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. It mostly works - sometimes I have problems but not often

160 vote(s)
    45.7%
  4. Not very reliable - I don't trust it

55 vote(s)
    15.7%
  5. Completely unreliable - it's always not working right

13 vote(s)
    3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I was talking with an installer/distributor. I had turned him onto this board and he said he was amazed at the number of people who complained about the reliability of their DirecTV equipment. His business installs both Dish Network and DirecTV and he has found the DirecTV systems to be more reliable. "It seems we install the DirecTV systems and they just work. If it was Dish, I could understand. We have more problems with their equipment. Now, we install more Dish so that may make a difference."

So let's have a poll about reliability. The trick is asking the right question. The question is about your system as it currently is, not how it worked 4 years ago. I'm also trying to put its reliability in context with other electronics. So here's the question:

Compared to other consumer electronics that you have owned, how does your current DirecTV system rate in reliability?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I have no issues with my DirecTV service. My 2 HR20's and HR21 work just fine and perform all core functions as expected.

3. Swheat

Swheat Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    It works fine and I am very happy with it. Never a missed recording and very little signal loss, even in strong storms.:) :) :)

4. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Mine is very reliable, for what it is. I have 4 DVRs and as much recording and erasing that is done, I expect hard drives to have problems, and I have had a couple but nothing really out of the ordinary. I turn it on and watch TV, either live or recorded and 99% of the time it is error free. Other features like the caller ID on the R15 not so much so.

Where is your poll?

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    In twelve years I have had very little trouble. One standard tuner 10 years ago the modem failed so I couldn't order pay-per-view. I had a Samsung DTivo cooling fan fail, which I replaced for $8.00. Other than a poor install on my HD upgrade (5lnb AU9, WB68, HR20)I have had very little trouble considering how complex everything is. I have been reading this forum for a very long time and my strong opinion is 90% of the problems people have is not equipment, but very poor installations.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As regards my DIRECTV system since Sept. 1, 2007 (to be fair)

No major issues with reliability, no service outages, no missed recordings. Despite the fact that I am running pre-release software, no equipment-related issues to report. There have been some bobbles with lip sync and such.

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The poll is now up there. You guys are fast! :D Please vote.

8. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Current setup: 100% happy, no issues

9. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I would like to remind those that are running CE software, to not let glitches in that software affect their vote...

10. cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    I voted very reliable for my HR20 - for the record, only had it installed for 2 months. My H20 however had a System Reset in th middle of the day recently. First time I saw that; hopefully the last.

11. jgriffin7

jgriffin7 Native Texan

Feb 16, 2007
    It mostly works.
    And yes, I'll still claim anyone voting for option 1 just doesn't use the heck out of the system.

12. ktk0117

ktk0117 Legend

Nov 27, 2006
    My biggest problems were with the H20, after dumping it for an HR20, I have almost no issues what so ever.

13. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I would say 90%...there is always room to make it better and improve :)

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Every DirecTV receiver I've had until the HR20 has been quite good. The Sony T60 DVR, Sony and RCA SD and HDreceivers, even the built-in receiver in the Samsung flip-top have all worked well.

The HR2X series (we have 5 here) just isn't a good unit yet. It has gotten better with all of the patches, but there are bugs that just shouldn't be there in a unit that is in its 2nd year of release. When it comes to DVRs or any STB technology I've owned (cable boxes, C-Band receivers, etc) it is at the bottom of the list.

Are there better units out there now? I don't know and frankly don't care...I just wish that DirecTV had done a better job in designing, developing and running QA on this model.

On the other side, the sat dishes and assemblies delivered by DirecTV have been very solid for me. I've never had a problem with the dish, or LNBs.

In my mind, and for our needs, DirecTV offers the best TV service available to me today. It's a shame that all the work they do in that regard is marred by a sloppily designed and manufactured device.

Maybe in another year or so the HR2x series will be a stable and dependable performer. I'm pretty sure they've got a grip on most of the hardware related issues.

For the record, I'm not talking about the device not having features like MRV or DLB...just the basics recording Series Links and recording programs on time.

15. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I would have picked "I rarely have problems" or "I sometimes have problems", except I have problems often enough that I don't trust my R15. Therefore I had to select "I don't trust it".

I think my R15 records most show I schedule, or if it doesn't record, I don't care enough about the shows to notice that they were missed.

But for the shows I care about, I notice when I get a missed recording, a partial recording, a freeze-up, or a failure like not padding extra time at the end of a sporting event. The R15 seems to get it right about 85-90% of the time, only messing up 2 or 3 times out of 20. But that is enough that I don't trust it. And that is enough that I use my DVD recorder as a backup for events that I must see.

16. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    All of my DirecTV equipment is just as reliable (or even more so), then all the other Consumer Electronic equipment in my home.

17. sacalait

sacalait Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    West Palm...
    I have only replaced receivers when upgrading and the only time I had a problem with the dish was when hurricane Francis caused the bolts to strip and the dish tip over on it's wall mount. 2 bolts later from Home Depot to reattach the dish to the monting arm and all was well. The dish didn't even need to be re-aligned, just raised and bolted back.

18. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I voted mostly based on my HR20. In the last 5 years of having a Phillips S2 Tivo DVR, the R10 and an HR10 I have had no issues that I would attribute to software or hardware of the unit other than a failed HD in the Phillips unit.

My HR20 over the last 5 months I have had 3 total system lockups (2 requiring RBR, one requiring pulling the power plug) and a handful of missed or blank recordings. I do participate in the CE process, but with the -100 CE cycle so close to national releases, none of my issues have occurred while on a non-national release.

Edit: I should add that the installer who put up my slimline dish did an awesome job. In nearly 10 years with DirecTV, I've not see a signal strength actually hit 100 until I had the slimline and HR20. Also, despite the problems, I'm still very happy with the HR20 and hold out hope that with each passing day it's reliability is being improved by DirecTV.

19. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    My 2 are very reliable, although CID and 7-1 do not work. Other than that, great

20. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    This is a tricky poll - its perception only. I have a Yamaha DSP-100 that I have used almost daily since the late triassic. I have only had an hr20 since last august. Honestly - I don't expect it to last as long as the dsp. And in my mind at least I associate the Yamaha name with higher quality.

The hr20 hardware seems solid enough - the software seems to have some issues obviously. But thats the illusion - because it could be the hardware microcode is absolute crap and the developers are having to code around it. Unless you are in DirecTV's engineering department - just can't know which way it is.

And did I mention the digital alarm clock that I have used since the mid-90s ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.