1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember Doctor Who Premier Tonight

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by UKintheUS, Mar 17, 2006.

1. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    Remember Doctor Who Premier Tonight, on the Sci-Fi Channel at 8pm EST.

2. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Unfortunately, I've already seen the entire first season through "other sources". :lol:

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    New shows, or the old series???

4. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    from the promos I've seen, it looks like the current running series in Britian - so new shows (at least here in the states). Looking forward to tonight's episodes.

5. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I've also seen it already. However, I'm tuning in anyway! It's great. :)

6. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Fun game to play for those that haven't already seen this season:

Keep a lookout for Bad Wolf, it shows up in pretty much every episode this season. Enough said.

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    If you want wild-ass theories,
    I believe that the Doctor had regenerated just prior to "Rose". Consider...
    • The Doctor is acting erratically, as if post-regeneration, throughout the entire episode.
    • The Doctor checks over his appearance while in Rose's apartment.
    • The Doctor departs after dropping off Rose and Mickey.
    • It is possible for the Doctor to have the adventures that Clive talks about.
    • The Doctor returns and says "Did I mention that it travels through time?"
    Is there ANYTHING that disproves that theory???

8. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    No real spoilers here, as its all speculation anyway:

I believe that the Doctor had regenerated just prior to "Rose".

I don't think its a wild-ass theory... I always took it for granted that he had just regenerated just prior to Rose. The key clue being his comment when looking in the mirror, as if seeing himself for the first time.

It is possible for the Doctor to have the adventures that Clive talks about.

Absolutely. I think its generally presumed that the Doctor does have adventures "off camera". In fact the whole Big Finish audio storyline is based on that assumption, as are most of the books.

At some point in the next couple episodes, Rose tells her mother that she wouldn't believe some of the things she's seen and done. I had the strong feeling there as well that she was alluding to much more than what we've seen her do in just the prior few episodes.

9. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    A dumb question perhaps, but during the second episode The Doctor explains to Rose his planet of origin - and that he is the last survivor of a war which wiped it out. This seems new to me - did any episodes after the normal US viewing include that, or is that something inserted into this year's script?

10. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    This seems new to me - did any episodes after the normal US viewing include that, or is that something inserted into this year's script?

Not a dumb question at all. Back when the show first aired last year, it was one of the big topics of discussion on many a discussion forum!

The "Time War" as retold here is definately new to this series, although Davies (writer) has said that the origins of the war stretch back to one of 4th doctor, Tom Baker's episodes (I'd say which, but that would reveal who the enemy is.)

One thing... if you are a fan of the spin off novels, Davies has stated that this is NOT the same time war as depicted in The Ancestor Cell, a novel by Peter Anghelides and Stephen Cole featuring the 8th doctor, which also has Gallifrey being destroyed. As more is revealed, the details of it do differ significantly.

11. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Thanks Danny, interesting. In a way, its too bad (my opinion). I thought the "classic" series had a lot of good interchange with the occasional adverarial/friend relationship The Doctor had with the other Time Lords throughout the early 6 or so Doctors. And I take it the Doctor's arch enemy (The Master) is gone for good too. Granted he appears to be truely dead from the made-for-TV movie a few years ago - but he's been dead before, or so it seemed.

12. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    It will be a point in several episodes that will be airing on SciFi.

13. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Just finished watching the 2 hour "premiere". The first show as really fun for the first 30 minutes but got a bit silly in the last 30 minutes. However the second hour was a lot of fun. My wife did comment that sure you could throw money at it but in the end it was still Dr. Who. OK so she will never understand. I give it a big thumbs up. Just loved hearing that theme music again and the sound of the Tardis. Looking forward to next week! :)

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There are exceptions... but to be honest, I generally found the episodes on Gallifrey with other TimeLords to be the weakest way back in the day when I was watching. I did the bulk of my watching back in the mid-to-late 1980s when PBS here had started re-running all they had from the beginning... skipping around a lot until they got to Jon Pertwee and then showing all the Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and finally the final seasons with Sylvester McCoy.

While being more modern of course, I found last night's episode of the new series to be most similar to the McCoy episodes... mainly in terms of the camera angles and the way it appeared to be filmed differently than prior episodes. Not a complaint mind you, just something I noticed in the filming.

While I hate in some stories (scifi in general not Dr Who specifically) when they cut-off entire possible stories like as in no more Gallifrey or Time Lords... I don't think I'll particularly miss them, and it does give the character a different kind of edge than he has had in the past. This Dr can be quirky and funny, but you get to see serious moments too when he is reminded of being the last of his planet.

OF course with time travel on the agenda, he can always end up in the past where there are still other Time Lords lurking about... so they can get around this is they want to do a good story in the future.

I have to admit, my favorite episodes of the past were in part my favorites because the Tardis never worked right... and he was never quite sure where he was going to end up. Episodes of the original series where he was in control of when and where he went took some of the mystery out of it, so I wouldn't mind the occassional malfunction in the new series where he ends up in the wrong place or wrong time or perhaps both and takes a while to figure it out.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I found the 2nd episode more enjoyable as well. I thought the premiere one was more about getting you ready... and that 2nd episode really felt like a good old episode to me. I like the new special effects, but really the charm was always in the characters and the story and they seem to have much of that in the new series still... which was what I most worried about.

Only real gripe was that SciFi does the usual running ads over the end-credits so we didn't get to enjoy more of the theme... I'll be watching credits on the DVDs when I buy them, because that's one of the more enjoyable themes to listen to.

16. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    It'll happen very soon; next week, in fact. If you liked the first two episodes, just wait until next week! It just keeps getting better every week. :D

17. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Be aware that the "skipping around" on the first Doctor has less to do with the station scheduling and more to do with bad BBC policy on program archiving.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, I'm unfortunately aware that many episodes from the early years have either been lost entirely or parts of them have been lost. I think one of the Pertwee stories, for instance, they lost one of the color prints but still have B&W so they have ran that story with color, then B&W, then color when aired here in the US.

I've been buying DVDs as they come out, but haven't gotten enough in a row yet to watch a bunch like I'd want to... but at least when "The Beginning" comes out I can watch the first few stories.

Interesting, and weird, how they have the very first episodes but lost some "in the middle"... you'd normally think it was the oldest stuff that got lost, but not so :(

I knew I was posting a novel, so I didn't go into details... but I did know that PBS skipped around because of the unavailability of early episodes. They showed everything that existed for syndication as far as I know, but it has been many many years since they were on here in the US.

It'd be nice if SciFi would also pick up rights again (they had it years ago) for the classic Who and run whatever of those they can get... I'd gladly watch them again from the beginning.

But the new series does look promising so far, and that's great news to me.

19. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    (Coughs up a hairball) The SciFi rights to Doctor Who were for the first part of the Tom Baker episodes from "Robot" to the fourth story of "The Key To Time".

I remember speaking with the program director of SciFi ages as well as the assistant program director of the local PBS station. Both of them said that the US distributor, Lionheart Televison, was extremely difficult to work with.

But, if it helps bring back the Doctor UNCUT in the US, well, I have my fingers crossed.

20. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    2 episodes might be a bit early, but so far I like this "Doctor". He seems to capture a lot of the subtile (?) time lord arrogance and humor that I recall from the Tom Baker era.