1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember Marlin Perkins? "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" returns

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by John Corn, Sep 14, 2002.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Animal Planet has scheduled the first three of six monthly Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom specials.

The first primetime hour is set for Sept. 17, Lost Elephants of Timbuktu. That will be followed Oct. 8 by Great Cats of India and Nov. 12 by Black Mamba.
    Three other hour-long programs in the Wild Kingdom package are due next year, with airdates not yet decided. Two of those programs will focus on amphibians and snakebites.

The program will be promoted by the insurer on select United Air Lines Inc. domestic flights and at the Animal Planet booth at various dog shows, as well as via on-air promos across the Discovery Networks U.S. family and in Discovery Channel retail stores.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom ran as a weekly half-hour series from the 1960s through the mid-1980s, first in Sunday primetime on NBC, then in barter syndication.

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I used to LOVE Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Marlin Perkins: "While I study stay in this shady village with beautiful native women, Jim will wrestle the giant Hipopotomus."

The "Jim" was Jim Fouler (sp) now at the San Diego Zoo. He's still making the rounds on the talk shows.

See ya
    Tony

3. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I remember that show as well. I remember always watching it, I think more my parents turned it on and TV zombie I was would just sit there. Yes Jim getting chased by some animal was alot of the fun. Pre-Crocodile Hunter :D

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I used to watch that show all the time. It was both educational, and fun to watch.

5. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    is jim going to involved in the new programs???

too bad they can't clone the genetic material to create a new marlin perkins...lol

6. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Tony,

In his early year, it was Marlin who wrestled the animals. I rember a show back in the 50s when he do so with a giant anaconda. I think the program was called "Zoo Parade" back then. It was only in later years that Jim Fowler showed up and did the "dirty" work.

Even today, when I see shows like the Crocodile Hunter, I think back to Zoo Parade - M.P. was the prototype for these new animal adventurers.

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks Rich,

I knew that Marlin did his own dirty work. He had paid his dues and now it was time for some one else to wrestle the animals. I was just too young to remember those. But I vividly remember the early 70's shows. :)