1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Remote access to DVR programming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rbpeirce, Mar 17, 2014.

1. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    If this already exists, tell me where to find it!

I have often used DirecTV's web site to request specific programs be recorded. This seems to work well. However, frequently, I want to check to see if I am already scheduled to record something. This could be a season pass (or whatever they call them now) or a specific program. I would also like to know what has already been recorded and is in the queue and I would like to change the priorities on upcoming recordings. This is all very simple and straightforward when on site but does not appear possible from off.

My equipment is connected to the internet so the possibility exists to come in that way but I haven't seen that that is possible either.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yep not possible, hopefully one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is a long-requested and never delivered feature that many of the competitors offer.

Is there still a wish HR2x wish list or has everyone given up? The importance of this can't be understated given DIRECTV's burning desire to maintain similarity in feature sets across the board.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    so does DIRECTV

5. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    Get a Slingbox.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Huh?

7. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    This is a bit confusing since you previously said hopefully one day. Does DTV offer this or not?

8. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    How will that solve my problem? I am not familiar with the product.

9. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    A Slingbox will basically let you control and view the output of (nearly) any video device remotely via the web. It sits between the video device (a D* DVR in this case) and the immediate viewing device (say a 70" Panasonic plasma ;) ). It is internet connected and can receive remote commands which it passes along to the video device and then sends the video stream over the internet. Thus with a Slingbox you could remotely control and view your D* DVR. Of course, whatever you are doing is viewable by whomever may be watching the TV that the DVR is currently connected to. And you can view whatever they happen to be watching....

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that post should have been on another thread. my phone crashed in the middle of posting, sorry about that

11. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    That sounds like it may be what I am after, but I don't understand how it can send commands to the DVR. I can see that it would show whatever the DVR was sending but how does it tell the DVR what to send?

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It is equipped with an IR emitter.

13. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I see. So the SlingBox is accessible from the internet and it can be told to send commands to the Genie which will then send the output to the SlingBox. That is pretty cool.

How do you get access to the SlingBox from the internet?

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Slingbox website for PCs or apps for mobile devices

15. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I certainly agree that a Slinbox will solve the problem here, but isn't that a bit overkill? Since even the previous models are $100+ and the apps are $15-30, thats paying a huge amount just to be able to view the TDL.

16. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    This is an excellent point. The 500 sells for $300 and the 350 for $180. OTOH, the Harmony Ultimate lists for about $350, although it is available on Amazon for about $250. Both seem like a lot of money to me but they may be worth it if they are the only way to solve a problem. The other option seems to be to forget about off-site control and to use a handful of remotes when on site. I am beginning to drift in that direction.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is notable that the HR2x series can operate only in one remote mode at a time (another oft-voiced complaint that was addressed only in the THR22 and the Genie) so if your talking about an HR2x in RF mode, you'll need to change it to run in IR mode.

The Slingbox (or similar) devices are superior to a remote-only solution as they can offer you remote viewing of ANY content (versus the limitations and WHDS requirement of the GenieGo) if you have enough upstream Internet bandwidth. The place-shifting devices offer compatibility with most set-top boxes should you change providers in the future.