1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote access to DVRs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rbpeirce, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1 of 11
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I am contemplating service at two locations with a lot of overlap in what is recorded. I want to be able to delete recordings and possibly season passes in one location from the other.

I have used the DTV web site to add recordings but is there a way to remotely access your DVRs to remove recordings or to change season passes?

2. Aug 8, 2013 #2 of 11
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I am contemplating service at two locations with a lot of overlap in what is recorded. I want to be able to delete recordings and possibly season passes in one location from the other.

I have used the DTV web site to add recordings but is there a way to remotely access your DVRs to remove recordings or to change season passes?

You cannot remotely update/edit season passes. If you have Whole Home service turned on, you can remotely delete a recording on one DVR while watching from another receiver. Unfortunately, there is no way to manage your PlayList and Series List from a remote location.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. Aug 8, 2013 #3 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Place shifting devices are probably your best bet for getting remote control over distant equipment.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #4 of 11
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Generally I spend two weeks a month in each location so I guess it will be easy enough to delete what I have already watched when I get there. I'll have to keep some kind of record. Still, it would be nice to have remote access to your recordings.

5. Aug 8, 2013 #5 of 11
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Generally I spend two weeks a month in each location so I guess it will be easy enough to delete what I have already watched when I get there. I'll have to keep some kind of record. Still, it would be nice to have remote access to your recordings.

I have wanted this for ages.

A sling box or the like (Belkin has a cheaper version which would likely do great for this) would be your best bet.

6. Aug 8, 2013 #6 of 11
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I'm not familiar with sling box. How would that solve this problem?

7. Aug 8, 2013 #7 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Place shifting devices give you both a video stream (with sound) from a remote location as well as the ability to operate the remote receiver via IR remote control. The Sling Box and similar have an on-screen remote control that allows you to blast IR signals to the connected device to change channels and fiddle with the menus as if you were sitting in front of it.

8. Aug 8, 2013 #8 of 11
    Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    And the new SlingBox SL 500 is so much easier to set up and doesn't require an IR blaster. Much easier to operate. I have had every model of Slingbox and this is a great improvement. Besides, it is fun to be able to watch the local news and sports when I am on the road in my job. It will do everything you could do if you were home sitting on your sofa (assuming your slingbox is connected to the receiver in front of your sofa).

9. Aug 8, 2013 #9 of 11
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    What sort of internet speed is required? I currently have a maximum of 1Mbps up and 3Mbps down. It is usually more like 2.8 and 0.7. HD videos over the internet usually pause with some frequency. I'm not sure how high I can go but I need to know how high I should go.

Can this be directed to a TV or is it limited to laptops or smaller?

Is this single user or multi-user? Specifically, in the current location I have three TVs and I will have the same in the second location. Often we will want to watch two different shows at the same time. This assumes it can even be directed to a TV.

If it is single user, can you use dual sling boxes and how would you control them?

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Slingbox SD should work with your uplink speed. The downlink speed wherever you are at remotely also matters, but typically anything approaching 1Mbps is more than sufficient. HD Sling takes more bandwidth (on both ends).

Sling pretty much goes to your computer screen, although if your computer has video/hdmi output you could easily redirect to a TV.

Sling is single user at a time, and if you are watching / controlling your receiver remotely, whoever is sitting in front of the box is seeing the same thing you are. It's like two people in the same room both holding a remote control. If you want/need to control more than one receiver remotely, you will need multiple devices.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I have exactly the same speeds, via ATT U-verse. I'd say it's pretty marginal for my desires. I've done a bit of slinging via GenieGo, a BB game that my GF and I wanted to watch, and it did the job on my iPhone but was not pretty.