1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Control FAQ

Discussion in 'Tips & Resources Collaboration' started by Go Beavs, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    So here's my 1st Draft of the remote document. I put this together mostly from other threads I found on the subject. I'm sure there are errors, so please, read carefully and let me know what to change.

Please pay special attention to the remote model list as I'm not confident that's totally accurate.

Also, suggestions on content and formatting are appreciated too. :)

Here ya go!

EDIT: Updated with suggestions from spartanstew and Scott. Thanks guys!

New version here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2900011#post2900011

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    1. Do you want some small photos of a DIRECTV remote taken apart? If you do I can take one apart and we can size them so they fit without adding a new page.

2. I think you can remove the credits line, credits can be done in the post that contains all of the links.

3. Maybe add the NFL remote to the list of available remotes and mention that it is a RC64RB.

4. If possible, re-word the bolded headings to be one line. On page 3 you could remove "Here is a list" From the beginning of the line and that will help with page breaks by giving more room.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Back button: Press this twice [strike]in[/strike] while.....

Info button: Should probably mention that it gives access to other features (i.e. CC, PIP, Parental Controls, etc.)

Yellow button: Remove the line "For the HR34, activates PIP", since it no longer does that.

Top of page 2:

Yes, your remote can be programmed to control your [strike]TV or[/strike] AV receiver volume and TV input settings. Your HD/HDDVR receiver’s remote setup menu contains codes for most TV's and AV receivers. Your installer should have setup your remote during your installation, but if that didn’t happen, or you change equipment, it’s easy to program.

Page 3 (code search):

I'd insert the words "mute" and "select" instead of just using the picture icons in the third step (same with step #7).
    "Enter 991 followed by one of......

Looks good.

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    That would be great!

Yeah, I agree. I kinda did that to remember where I got all that stuff too.

Sure!

OK, I'll see what I can do.

5. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    See if you can make this fit, I think you can size it n the Word Doc.

[​IMG]

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've updated the document with Scott's and your suggestions. I think I have all the page breaks in the right spot now too.

New version in post #1

Thanks guys!

7. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Nice job, I'll give it a full read through later tonight. I tend to miss a lot of small things myself so don't hesitate to chime in.

BTW, what do you think of the pics? Good or bad? If you guys don't like them please say so and I'll re-do them.

8. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Pic looks fine.

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Pic looks fine, I just wasn't sure if it should be before or after the prodecure.

Also, I was wondering if the cleaning procedure should be formatted using bullets instead of the written procedure. Does anyone think that would make it look more consistant with the rest of the document? If not, I'll leave it.

10. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I like the bullets thought, more consistent and cleaner looking.

I don't know about other remotes but the one that I took apart a RC65X had 6 screws, two shorter ones in the battery compartment and 4 longer ones under the grey cover.

11. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I formatted the cleaning procedure into a bullet list and I think it looks fine.

[strike]If someone knows the difference between the RC65 and the RC64 series, I would appreciate the info. I need that to complete the remote model list.[/strike]

In the meantime, I'll do some searching on it.

EDIT: So I found the difference between the remotes, but can anyone tell me what are the currently shipping remotes from DIRECTV? I know some info in the remote list is outdated.

Thanks!

Here's the newest version: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2901942#post2901942

12. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    On the What receivers can be controlled via RF we should add the HR34. All HR2x, HR34 & H20-24...

Yellow button controls the PIP on the HR34 (I think) Maybe we can squeeze that in. We may need to re word that line so it doesn't change our page break.

Otherwise I think it looks great. Well done!

13. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I thought that about the HR34 yellow button PIP too but then spartanstew said it doesn't do that, so I took it out. Perhaps we need some clarification on that. So, send me an HR34 and I'll check that out. :) ;)

14. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Ha, I would if I could. :) I'll find out.

15. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Stuart confirmed that it just brings up the info bar now too. Oops :sure:

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Didn't trust me, eh?

17. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009

:grin: I take full responsibility, just double checking.

18. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I re-did some stuff so I could include info about setting rf codes by RID, the code to speed up remote response and tried to update some of the remote model stuff.

The one thing I'm really not sure about is what the current shipping remotes are. I made some educated guesses for the time being. Hopefully someone can tell me if it's close. :)

EDIT: Old version removed... new version here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2902481#post2902481

19. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I think it looks good. I think the available/ships with descriptions are correct, but who really knows? That is probably a good guideline but with reconditioned receivers it's probably what they have on hand.

20. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    With all of the information in your document do you think it's necessary to link to other threads? I don't mind the DIRECTV link but the others don't need to be there.

What do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.