1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Control Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kn1564, Oct 4, 2009.

1. kn1564

kn1564 Cool Member

Jun 26, 2007
    OK I have a quick question.

I am installing a SD DVR in my kids room. however I don't want the actual DVR in their room. it is in my living room entertainment center and I have the Coax output going back into the wall and into her room and ours. and I have the Composite cable going to an AV input on the living room TV. 2 points to this; 1. is to keep it out of harms way :D 2. is so that when we record the shows for her she can watch them in al the rooms depending on where we have it turned on. Here is my problem. in the entertainment center I have both an HD and SD DVR. when I push a button.. it happens on both... is there a way to set 1 of the DVR's on a seperate channel?

2. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    you can go into the remote setup menu and set one of the recievers to AV1 mode instead of DirecTV Mode.
    Menu > Parental Favs, Setup > System Setup > Remote > Reciever Mode.
    Change it from DirecTV to AV1
    You would then have to move the slider on the remote to AV1 mode and program it with the code 00002.
    You would then control the Reciever in DirecTV mode as normal, and just move the slider to AV1 mode to control the box in AV1 mode.

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    This is all correct, but you don't have to move the slider on the remote to the AV1 position; you can program the D* position on the remote to code 00002.

This is a bit confusing because the on-screen instructions on the receiver refer to either "DirecTV" or "AV1/AV2" modes and you have those same labels on the remote slider. Forget this correlation and just think of it this way: If the receiver is set to "DirecTV" mode, it uses the "primary" remote address. If it is set to "AV1/AV2" mode, it uses the "secondary" address. For HD-DVR's the primary address is 00001 and the secondary is 00003. For SD-DVR's and HD (non-DVR) receivers, the primary is 00001 and the secondary is 00002.

You can program the D* remotes to operate any of these three addresses in any of the three slider positions for D*, AV1 and AV2. To program the remote, move the slider to the position you want, then press and hold MUTE+SELECT. Wait a few seconds for the light to blink twice, then release the MUTE+SELECT buttons. Within a few seconds, enter the code you want to assign to that slider position, such as 00002. The light will blink as you enter the numbers, and then blink twice after the last digit to acknowledge the program.

So, what I would do is program the SD-DVR for the "AV1/AV@" position which uses code set 00002. Take the kid's remote and program it's D* slider to use code 00002. Take your remove and program its AV1 slider position to use code 00002. That way, you can control both DVR's from your single remote, and the kid's can only control "their" DVR.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Or you could set the HD DVR to RF mode so that it dosen't respond to IR or depending on the model of SD receiver it could be set to RF so it can be operated from other rooms in the house.

5. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    Rodney, I thought he wanted to do it on the same remote, as in one remote controlling 2 boxes?

Your way of course works great though especially for that extra parental control

6. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Either way, it may still be important to program the AV1 setting on the remote since different receivers use different codes (00002 vs. 00003) as the "secondary" or AV1/AV2 setting.

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I assumed they were probably both already in RF mode since the kids will need to control the SD-DVR from their room while it is located in the living room cabinet, and he said that using his remote in the living room controlled both DVR's simultaneously.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If it was in UHF mode it would use the RID and would only respond to the correct remote, besides the SD usually come with only IR remotes.:)

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Duh! :bang You are right! :) I'm always thinking in terms of my system where I use Pronto remotes and their RF extenders, which all translate back to D* IR code. Thanks for the correction!