1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by allenwoodruff, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allenwoodruff

allenwoodruff Cool Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I have a 622 in my bedroom but the primary TV is the plasma in the living room. The installer said the #1 remote must have clear view of the receiver in order to work. In other words it won’t work through the walls. Since I have my plasma on the wall with no AV rack, I have no place for the 622 in the living room. I have been using the 921 for two years this way. Any help? Surely the has to be a way around this.

2. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    Just use the IR (1) remote in the bedroom where the 622 is located and use the UHF (2) remote in the living room. Am I missing something here?

3. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Yes, if the receiver is in single user mode. If in single user mode remote 1 (IR) and remote 2 (UHF) provide identical control and the receiver will operate like the 921, i.e. PIP, etc ...

However, if you want to run in dual mode so the bedroom TV can be watching something different than the plasma in the living room then you will need to buy an additional UHF Pro remote and do some additional configuration. Mike Johnson wrote up a section on how to do this with a second UHF Pro Remote in our review, found here: http://www.dbstalk.com/622review/DBSTalkViP622Review.pdf

I believe there were some software issues with this at one point, not sure if they were fixed or not. Maybe someone that has done this can post their results.

Doing this isn't all that uncommon, pretty much need to use this anytime you want to have your 622 out of visible sight.

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    My read (right/wrong) is that he has the 622 in the bedroom with long component cables (/HDMI) to the living room plasma. As supplied, using the TV1 IR remote in the bedroom to change the channel in the living room seems awkward.;)

The supplied UHF Pro 6.3 (or a 6.2 replacement) can operate TV1 via UHF from the living room (rest of the house actually) but another UHF Pro 6.x or 8.0 would have to be purchased to operate TV2 there in the bedroom. Either should be cheaper than the 6.2 or 6.3 UHF Pro. A 6.2/6.3 is more versatile, can operate from farther away from the receiver, ... but more $. Rob's link should cover how to switch TV1 to be IR and/or UHF Pro with a 6.x remote.

Nearly identical. "You are not allowed to access Shared View with your secondary remote" - at least on my 942.

5. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Don't forget tuner 2 is only 480i output in dual mode so he wouldn't want that for the plasma on the wall.

6. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Just so people don't get confused, this the outputs, not the tuner. All Tuners can record SD or HD content.

7. allenwoodruff

allenwoodruff Cool Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I bought another UHF remote and put a green key with black #1 and everything is working fine. The installer was not very experienced and didn't have a clue about this. What does the average joe do that has to rely on the dish installer and phone support.

8. ZigSteenine

ZigSteenine Legend

Apr 18, 2006
    Jsut curious here. How do you have it wired up? Do you have the HD going to the plasma or is the HD hooked up to the TV in the bedroom??

Seems a waste to not have the HD run to the plasma if that is the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.