1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Remote, Harmon Kardon and Volume/Mute

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fjwagner, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Just moved the HR10 to the bedroom and put a new HR20 in the den. I have been messing with the remote for the last hour and searching this forum to no avail.

My perception is that once I set the remote codes for the Harmon Kardon, the volume control on the remote should operate the HK in DTV mode. It does not in DTV mode but does work when I slide the switch to AV1. My Tivo remote controlled the HK directly and I am looking for similar operation from my HR20 remote. My hope is that I do not have to slide that little switch every time I want to change the volume on the Harmon Kardon.

Thanks and I hope to enjoy this forum as much as the Tivo Community. Fred

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca

To punch-through the HK volume to all devices: First there HAS to be a TV code programmed to the TV device or the volume keys won't work: then:

1. av1
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press SELECT

3. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I believe that is what I did. I set up the remote to control the tv (power and volume). I guess that is what you mean by "punch through"? The four steps you outlined are what I subsequently did. I must not be interpreting your first statement correctly.

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    What you probably did was the following:

1. av1
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press VOL UP

The above gave you the HK volume in the AV1 device only. Below is what sends the HK to ALL other devices( punching through):

1. av1
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press SELECT

Yes they look alike, but they're not, and do different things.

5. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    you are the man. Pressing "Select" instead of "Volume" did the trick. I read that in your first post, but did not absorb as was thinking Volume. Thanks alot! Now to get used to the HR20 after the Tivo OS. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.