1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Remote 'IR to RF'?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by David Carmichael, Nov 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. David Carmichael

David Carmichael Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    Does anybody know of a 'IR' to 'RF' converter [such as sold by Radio Shack, Pyramid, Powermid, X-10] that will convert 'IR' to 'RF' which a DirecTV's RF will receive so that I don't have to have a receiving device in the remote room??
    OR
    Does anybody know the "RF" range used by DirecTV??
    As I found a project to make a "IR" to "RF" so maybe I could change the "RF" chip to match??

:David

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I don't know of any and I suspect that you won't find any. I'm not sure if it is even legal to do so.

If there were such a beastie, it would need to be set up specifically for the radio frequency used by DIRECTV.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    The Next Generation RF system doesn't work with D* RF, but it doesn't require a receiver in the remote room either. Make sure when you order that you specify you're using it in a D* remote so they give you the right frequency. Acoustic Research's RF extender uses D*'s frequency, so you may want to look at that as well when searching for specs.

4. David Carmichael

David Carmichael Legend

Mar 11, 2007

"Next Generation RF" can not be used with a Harmony rechargeable remote such as I am using a 880

I had been doing to testing since posting this and found that my troubles must be with the receiver and not with the current IR Extender system as even using the "DirecTV" RF remote I am having troubles scrolling up and down in only one menu area??

Thanks for the replies! Maybe somebody else can learn from your replies!

:David