1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDK1044, Nov 5, 2012.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    So, I just got my HR34 Genie installation on Saturday...HR34 plus one Genie client. It all works perfectly.

Here's my question; I have set my remote to be RF rather than IR, simply because with our room layout, not having to be directly in front of the DVR to talk to it is helpful.

But what if something happened to that remote? The only other remote I have is in the other room and is set to IR, and it doesn't have the ability to be set to RF. I could not therefore use it to control the DVR if the main remote was lost.

Is there a way on the front of the HR34 to set the box back to IR if needed? Or, if I got a second RF capable remote, could I set the Genie client to also be RF so that that remote could also talk to the HR DVR if necessary?

2. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, there is. You just press the menu button on the HR34, go to Settings & Help->Settings->Remote->Program Remote->Advanced Setups (this last part is from memory, new software may have slightly changed where things are) IR/RF Setup->change from RF to IR. You can do that all with the buttons on the front of the HR34.

You can also set the Genie client to be in RF mode. In RF mode the remote is programmed specifically to an individual receiver, but you can program the remote in RF mode under the DTV logo, then program it for another receiver in RF mode under the AV1 or AV2 modes, that way you can have one remote for two RF receivers and all you have to do is move the mode switch.

Keep in mind if you program a receiver to RF mode it won't work with an IR remote, and vice-versa.

3. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Great info. Thank you.:)