1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Remote will not work with AV receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joannel, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1 of 16
    joannel

joannel AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    I have programmed my RC64R for my Kenwood AV receiver. After entering my code, the PWR button does work and my receiver turned off. I then entered 993 and hit Select, but once I put the switch back to Directv, the volume works on the receiver, but I am unable to turn it on or off. Even when I move the switch to AV1, I am unable to turn the receiver on or off. I would like to control the power of the receiver while the switch is set to Directv, but I have to use the separate AV receiver remote. Can anything be done, or am I stuck using two remotes?

2. Aug 6, 2011 #2 of 16
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Does your Kenwood have separate buttons for On and Off? That has been a problem for these remotes with many brands of receivers.

Many of us have opted for a basic Harmony remote as that will solve this problem plus give you a host of other features.

3. Aug 6, 2011 #3 of 16
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Power works, but OP doesn't want to slide the switch. Harmony won't make any difference. OP will still have to move his fingers to operate his devices.

4. Aug 6, 2011 #4 of 16
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    That wasn't necessary. :nono2:

Beyond being remarkably rude, if you reread the OP's post, you'll see the receiver won't power up or down regardless of the switch's position.

It is also not too much to ask for the power button to work with the switch in the DirecTV mode if it is at all possible. That was DirecTV's intention. In this case, it doesn't.

5. Aug 6, 2011 #5 of 16
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    This is a Post by Edmund the Remote Master.

The volume never works initially with ANY audio code, reason is the volume won't work at all without a tv code programmed to the tv device. Once there is a tv code, its volume is now in the way, but that can be remedied.

So with your TV Code in, an Audio Code partially works the stereo programmed in, to get the volume:

1. AV1 or AV2
    2. Press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press SELECT

So you have to Program in a TV Code for the Audio Code to work Successfully when you Switch back to Directv.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #6 of 16
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The question is not volume, but the power codes.

7. Aug 6, 2011 #7 of 16
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I can only power my Kenwood on/off by sliding the switch, the volume has always worked fine. I have tried every code available, needless to say it gets left on most of the time:)

8. Aug 6, 2011 #8 of 16
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Have yoy PMed EDMUND, the Remote Master???

If anyone can help you it is EDMUND!!! :D

9. Aug 6, 2011 #9 of 16
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just as I have to move my fingers to type. Let's be polite. Thanks.

10. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    In order to work use my yamaha receiver, I need to have to program av1 for power (on/off) and av2 for volume.

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Sorry but you can never control the power of the Av receiver in directv device, only the middle PWR key in the av1 or av2 device will control the stereo.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks Edmund, I had forgotten that.

13. joannel

joannel AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for everyone's reply. It looks like I'm stuck either sliding to AV1 and using PWR, or using the receiver remote...which I will do. It's easier to me. It's too bad.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    WHat I do is use the HDMI control that when I hit the power button for the dvr and the tv, the tv triggers the receiver to turn on. Of course this only works with HDMI control enabled devices.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That's one of the reasons I use a Harmony remote.

16. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    If you reread the OP's post, you'll see that you're wrong on all counts. Besides, it was a joke. And it IS too much to ask. It's always been DirecTV's intention for the PWR button to work the device selected by the slider, NOT to power every device on the remote. The purpose of the ON button is to power the TV and Receiver/DVR only, not auxiliary devices.

Guess my humor (or lack thereof) didn't translate. Didn't mean to hurt any feelings, but I just thought it was a little funny that the OP thought sliding the switch was more effort than picking up the AVR remote.