1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing HD Channels from a HD receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Draconis, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    A friend of mine got a CSR to remove HD Access (budget issues) and he wanted to remove all the HD channels from the receiver, (without reprogramming the dish) so I took the plunge and helped. Here is a walkthrough of what I had to do and the shortcomings of the solution.

The first thing I did was un-hide the SD duplicate channels. So I went to Parental, Faves, & Setup -> System Setup -> Display -> Guide HD Channels and set it to Show SD Duplicates.

[​IMG]

Once you select Show SD Duplicates the receiver will tell you that the new setting will take effect in about a minute. The message does not stay long and leaves quickly.

Next, I setup a favorites list that takes the HD channels out of the guide, so I left the system menu then went to Parental, Faves, & Setup -> Favorite Channels -> Edit Settings.

Finally, I went through and setup a favorites list that completely removed the HD channels. This had to be done manually because Channels I Get is not 100%.

[​IMG]

One little thing I noticed is that when you are looking at 2 channels with the same number, the HD version of that channel is always the first one displayed.

In the end, I found that doing this does NOT override the receivers programming to tune to a HD channel when the channel number is entered directly into the system. The only way to ensure it does not tune to a HD channel is to select the program from the guide or use the CH +/-. Also, it did not remove the HD channels from the search results.

But at least the solution kept my friend happy.

Attached Files:

2. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    So, why wasn't it just easier to reprogram the dish to only look at sat101 ? That would eliminate the HD channels from the guide AND keep them from showing up when entering channel numbers directly.

3. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Maybe he needs to see the MPEG4 satellite for his locals...

4. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    I was assuming the OP's friend was also in Las Vegas, which should get SD locals in mpeg2 off the 101.

5. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Actually, our locals come from the 119. My friend is in California and lives in a MPEG-4 local market.

6. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    With the Fall 2009 software release this thread is now obsolete.

[​IMG]

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Don't you mean the Summer 2009 software release? :)

8. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Is this now possible to do by selecting a feature in the setup mode?

9. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, with the newest update. It is on a staggered rollout. If you haven't received it yet, you should within the next few weeks.