1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reno CBS and Chattanooga NBC stations pulled

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Oct 31, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    A closely held corporation Sarkes Tarzian, Inc., owns CBS affiliate KTVN in Reno, Nevada, and NBC affiliate WRCB in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Right now they are in a retrans negotiations dispute with Dish.

Broadcasting & Cable reported:
    According to a Chattanooga news report:

2. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Actually KTVN is the CBS affiliate where I live in Reno which is upgrading their news set and has been in a temporary studio for the past 2 months possibly getting ready to convert to HD.

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Oops, my bad. I've corrected the original post but a moderator will have to change the title.

4. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    KTVN keeps running a scroll across their shows saying Dish is refusing to pay "pennies a day" for customers to see their "Great CBS programing and News." The scrolls seem much nastier than those that Fox/NewsCorp was running on FOX channels directed at DirecTV.

5. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    let 'em go! They'll come crawling back at some point!

6. Nov 1, 2011 #6 of 36
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    KTVN Channel 2 News
    KTVN and DISH NETWORK are negotiating to provide for continued carriage of KTVN on DISH. Unfortunately, we have not yet reached an agreement, and DISH has removed KTVN from its lineup. KTVN has extended an unconditional extension to DISH to allow your service to continue through the end of November while we continue to negotiate, and that offer remains open. DISH has unilaterally rejected the extension. It is DISH's choice that you no longer have KTVN in your program lineup.
    We currently do not know when, or if, KTVN will be restored as part of the DISH program service. In the short term, DISH is free to accept our unconditional extension, and KTVN could be back on the system at once. In the long term, resumption of carriage of KTVN on DISH will require that new contract terms be agreed upon by DISH and KTVN. We are continuing to negotiate and would like to reach a new agreement to carry us forward for the next few years. KTVN is off Dish same with WRCB.

7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 36
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The easy way to settle all of these is to ban all retransmissions fees for FCC licensees.

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 36
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    WRCB in Chattanooga also has the update message reflecting that the station has been taken off of Dish.

Perhaps, a Moderator could retitle this thread with the updated info (and elminate my erroneous reference to NBC).

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 36
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Amen. OTA channels should have NEVER been allowed by Congress to charge retransmission fees in the first place!

10. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Traded a series of emails with KTVN's station manager on this subject last week. You can imagine his stance on the subject.

11. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    The KTVN dispute has allowed me more time to watch KRNV and KOLO news. Thanks KTVN.

12. RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    For that matter, the stations should PAY Dish to Carry their 'nearly free' bandwidth, supposedly 'free' to all stations (ad supported), but of course "You can NOT watch ANY other CBS station because you are in our DMA, but we charge Dish for carriage-we screw you from both sides, smart huh?"!!!!

Yet another case of Big business paying off US law makers via huge powerful NAB lobbyist for corporate greed, oops, profits, oops, free enterprise, oops, capitalism. :)

Yeah, yeah, we know its just silly TV, but the airwaves and frequencies are 'supposedly' owned by the Citizens of US, ha ha, what a joke?!! Stations are mandated to provide 'free to all' TV signals to those in their DMA but do they (ask us who live in hilly country-barriers to reception)?

13. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    In the old days when DISH didn't have all the major networks for a DMA, your bill would be slightly reduced. The last time this happened, the Viacom fiasco, I was able to get CBS in Atlanta for a small fee per month. Since the latter is no longer available, grumble, what about the former?

What happens to the bill these days with these protracted disputes?

14. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I'm sure at some point the parties will come to an agreement and KTVN will return to DISH. In the meantime, as long as we don't have a CBS station are we suppose to get a slightly reduced bill?

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    No harm in asking. The worse they could say could be no.

16. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I was hoping someone from the DIRT would answer the question. I dread the idea of playing CSR roulette, once again.

17. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Out of curiosity is E providing another CBS affiliate for dish subscribers or is it just a screen with the dispute explanation on it.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    No. I don't think so.

19. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    DISH isn't providing an alternate CBS, hence why I want to know if a small refund is in order. This is what DISH use to do when the DMA wasn't complete.

The last time I looked at channel 2, DISH had a lady in a video loop explaining why KTVN was removed. However, for days the audio kept cutting out at random intervals and became annoying. You would think that DISH would have noticed the audio problem, but they haven't.

20. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Even though the KTVN video still shows the lady with the glitchy audio[1] attempting to explain why KTVN was removed from DISH's lineup, the 119° sat has returned to showing the immediate KTVN guide data. Perhaps an end is in sight or is it just another glitch?

[1] For the entire time that DISH has removed KTVN, DISH has been completely oblivious to the glitchy audio problem, thus rendering that portion of the explanation for why KTVN was removed, useless.