1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Replace HR20-700 With What?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by darita, Jan 27, 2013.

1. darita

darita AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    I have 3 HR20-700s and one of them is dying. I have a 3 TB hard drive connected and all is fed by SWM. What is the preferred DVR these days that will accept the addition of a hard drive?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Any of the HR2x HD DVRs will support an external eSATA drive. The newest model is the HR24, but DirecTV can't guarantee you a specific model if you get the replacement from them.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You know that the only model that will use more than 2TB on a drive is an HR34 right? Just want to point out that 3TB drives arent supported in the HR2x series. They make work as you seem to have gotten it to work but its only using 2TB of that 3TB drive.

4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I think you'll lose all your data when you plug your drive into your new DVR.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Actually, I think the recordings are still there, just not seen by the new DVR. Since OTA recordings are not encrypted, I think those would be playable.

6. darita

darita AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks for the replies...so it's the HR24-? that I should try to get? Thanks for the heads up on the 3TB hard drive. I didn't know that, but I am using a 3TB eSATA.
    If I can't access the programs with the new receiver, should I erase all the old stuff before switching the HD over to the new receiver, so that it won't take up memory?

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes.

8. darita

darita AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    Is it the HR24-500 that I should be going for?

9. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    Maybe someone should ask - what makes you say your HR20 is failing??? I have one with an external drive, and the internal drive failed (could that be your problem?). I just popped in a new one (owned unit but it shouldn't matter in your case since DTV doesn't want HR20s back if you ever replace it), and have been happy ever since. I lost the internal drive contents but that was a minor inconvenience compared to losing the external contents (not playable on another machine), going through a drawn-out replacement process in which you might not get the machine you're after, and the losing the OTA features of the HR20.

I stick with 1TB drives because they're cheaper, you lose less content IF one goes bad, and that's a pretty big warehouse, even for me.

10. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    You realize that DirecTV won't guarantee you any specific DVR model unless you order a Genie (HR34) right? Additionally, I don't think Solid Signal even lets you order a specific manufacturer within a model anymore either.

FWIW, I've had great luck with my HR24-200.

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    You may get a real clunker. Beware...

12. darita

darita AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    What will the Genie give me? External eSATA and SWM compatible?

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Genie supports larger esata, the others are just 2tb. All HD receivers are SWM compatible, genie requires it.

Genie has 5 tuners, PIP, 100 series links, RVU support etc.

14. darita

darita AllStar

Aug 16, 2006
    So I could add a larger HD via eSATA? Guess I'll have to read up on how good the Genie is. My wife has so many recordings going...we have to constantly cancel just to watch live TV.

15. Brandon Wedgeworth

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Couple things... One, I don't know if those three HR20s are your only receivers, but if they are, and you have either a SWM-LNB or a SWM-8, the 5 tuners of the Genie plus the 2 from each of the other DVRs would put you over the tuner limit of what you currently have and you'd need a SWM-16 with a legacy 3 or 5 horn LNB (4 lines coming from the dish) for it to work. That being said, if you order from DirecTV, they'll take care of all of that for you with the install of the HR24.

Second, the only downside of keeping two DVRs along with the HR34 is that you can only schedule recordings on the DVR you're using. In other words, you can't schedule a recording on the HR34 from one of the HR20s.

Just a couple things to keep in mind.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can add a 2TB drive on the HR20-24. Keep in mind, if anything is on the internal, those won't be accessible unless you unplug the external and reboot. If the DVR goes bad, you can't access recordings on the external, they are tied to the box they were recorded on. There are rumors that this might change this year.

The HR34 has the same limitations except drive size. A 9tb array has been successfully used on a 34.

It is nice to be able to have 5 recordings going at once.

17. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    I replaced my dead HR20-700 with an HR34-500. It works with my remaining DVRs, so now I have 4 HR24-500 and 1 HR34-500, so 13 tuners. I had a 2 TB eSATA drive on the HR20, but as of yet have not plugged it into any of the remaining DVRs. Don't need the storage.

18. Brandon Wedgeworth

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Nobody ever said more than 8 tuners isn't possible, just that you need a SWM-16 to do it. Also, there's no such thing as a HR34-500...only a HR34-700.

19. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    Sorry for my typo in the HR34 model #. I wasn't saying anyone said they couldn't have more than 8 tuners, I was just stating the choices I had made.