1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace sd receiver with hd receiver for MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by larcar, Jul 31, 2010.

1. larcar

larcar AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    I recently had MRV installed by Directv. The install went great and it works well. I have a Humax tv with a built in Directv SD receiver which I think is a D11 receiver. The installer said he had to add something to the install that would keep this receiver working because it is SD and will not work for MRV.
    I have 2 DVR's and a Hd receiver on other tv's and I would like to replace the Humax with a high def tv and H24 receiver so MRV will work on this tv also.
    My questions is what do I need to do to hook this up myself? Is there something the installer used that I must now remove?
    Thanks to anyone that may be able to help.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    My guess is that since the TV DirecTV receiver doesn't have a DECA in it, that he needed to add a bandstop filter to block the DECA signal from affecting the TV tuner.
    This is what needs to be done with a SD receiver like the D11.
    If there is a green labeled red box connected to the coax to the TV, this is what he did.

3. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
  4. larcar

larcar AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    Thanks but I do not think this is what he added. Where my 4 cables come in from the dish they go into a grey colored box then 1 cable comes out of that box and goes direct to the sd receiver and the other cable that comes out goes to what looks like an 8 out splitter where the cables go to the hd receivers.
    Make sense?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Only if the gray colored box looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Is there a power inserter somewhere for this?
    If this is what you have and the SD TV is connected to a coax, "then" with DECA you still needed the bandstop filter on all receivers that don't have a DECA connected to them.
    What exactly your installer did or didn't do is very hard without being there and LOOKING. ;)

6. larcar

larcar AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    That's the box. Yes there is a power inserter located by one of my hd receivers. The SD receiver I believe is getting it's signal from one of the Legacy out's? He did not put a bandstop filter on my sd receiver at the tv and it work's. I don't see it where this grey bax is located either could it be elsewhere?
    So once I get my new tv and receiver can I remove the cable from the Legacy out and hook it to the splitter where all the other receivers are connected?
    Thanks

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "So" he didn't add anything to the TV/tuner. Because it's on the legacy port, there is/was no need for it.
    To change this leg over to HD/SWiM/DECA, just move the coax off the legacy port over to a free splitter port.
    You should check that SWM8 to see if it has a green sticker/label. If so then it's fine. If not then only one of its two outputs can be used and a bandstop filter is needed between the first splitter and the SWM8.

8. larcar

larcar AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    Thank you veryoldschool. You have been very helpful. When I get the new hd tv and the H24 I will move this coax cable over to the splitter. Hopefully it will work or I will come back here and consult all the experts out there that are ready to help out like they always do.