1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Hopper Woes...

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bobukcat, Jun 21, 2014.

1. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Has something happened to Dish's Tech Support??? I have a replacement Hopper I've activated and it has VERY old (S057) software so my OTA tuner doesn't work, it won't link to my other Hopper and it doesn't properly restore from the remote. I've tried the phone and chat and they just keep putting me through the same stupid steps over and over. I've been a customer for over 14 years, have been through multiple receiver and DVR models an this is by far the worst experience I've ever had with them. If someone from DIRT or otherwise can help me navigate this I'd appreciate it!

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Don't they automatically update over night if they are on old software?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you are mis-assessed the version
    all FW version starting from 0 like x0xx, are FACTORY FW
    it has one purpose: check functionality, help set a dish/switch and download CURRENT FW
    so, turn it off by remote and wait (be sure you have good signal level of DNLD tpn)

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, you're generally supposed to connect a replacement receiver and run a check-switch and then allow the receiver to download the latest firmware before you actually try to use it. It doesn't sound like you did that properly.

5. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Guys, it's been over 48 hours. I've done the check switch. left it off all day two days in a row, etc. and it will not update the software. I've done the replacement receiver enough times (this is the 3rd Hopper I've had to have replaced and many other 622s, etc.) to know the process by heart - I am definitely not new to this. Apparently Tech Support can't send any kind of "hit" or initialization to force the firmware update so I'm currently stuck with a Hopper lacking a lot of functionality.

6. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Did the check switch show that you have all satellites with decent signal? If so, I would presume that you have a seriously flawed Hopper.
    Hopefully the DIRT team can help.
    I think I would try a chat with Dish tech to create a paper trail of the problem and maybe come to a better conclusion.

If you lived near me, I would invite you to bring it over to my house to plug into my system to see if it help to get the proper firmware to download.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you did the check switch and it passed, then it should have wanted to take firmware immediately. If it did not do that, then there is a problem you cannot fix. I agree you might want to try sending a PM to one of our DIRT reps, because you might have a problem with this replacement Hopper.