1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacement reciever different model same hookup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bbchurch, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bbchurch

bbchurch New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    ok let me make a long story short here. We have two dvrs in our setup a hr20 and a hr22 both connected with mrv and swm. Installer said the hr21 has to be hooked up different for mrv so it pulls power from sat 2 line. Well hr 20 died couple days ago and just got replacement dvr and it is a hr22-100. My question does the hr 22 just get connected to same wiring layout as hr 20 or do i need to do some changing on the configuration? Just don't want to blow anything up.... Is it still ok to use the sat 2 output to pull power with the hr22 or does wiring need to be changed to reflect different dvr model?
    thanks for any help

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Unfortunately, your installer was wrong. The SAT2 input did not need to be used for the HR21. The SAT2 input is only needed with the HR20-100 as the SAT1 input cannot supply power to an attached DECA unit.

In your case, all you need is a cable going to the DECA and the DECA outputs to the ethernet jack on the receiver and the SAT1 input on the receiver. That's it.

- Merg

3. bbchurch

bbchurch New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    i am sorry i put the wrong model number it IS a HR20-100 not an hr21 my mistake>:D

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In that case, then yes. Hook up the replacement in the same exact way that the other HR22 is hooked up. You will most likely be removing a splitter and the coax that goes to the SAT2 input.

- Merg

5. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    The HR20-100 is a special case. Very good info in this thread, including a diagram:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177195

None of the other DVRs need that splitter.