1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Unit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mbrailey, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrailey

mbrailey New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I have not gone a single day without observing some sort of problem with my HR20. I have been exceedingly patient, but now the problems have risen to a completely unacceptable level. Whereas before I was dealing with dropped audio, pixellation, and the occasional missed or inaccessible recording, now it is trouble on a whole other level. Tonight, every single saved recording on my system became corrupted. Whenever I tried to replay anything, I was immediately given the "would you like to delete?" prompt. Given that my DVR was 97% full this constituted a fair amount of programming. I see no point in continuing with this particular DVR now that it's performance is degraded to the point where it loses an entire HDD worth of content in one fell swoop.

My question at this point is how to get a replacement unit and how to get fair compensation for the hours of time I have spent doing RBR after RBR, forcing downloads, reformatting as well as the time spent reading this forum to to figure out how/when/why to do these various things because CSRs were totally untrained and unprepared to help.

Please let me know what has worked for you.

My other option is to drop D*, but I'd like to give them a chance to make it right.

Best regards,

Matt

2. jakimj

jakimj AllStar

Jan 19, 2007
    Matt

my first 5 days were just like yours. I am now 9 days without an IKD (I think I have that right - immediate keep or delete?) since loading 0x119. 0x11b was rock solid for 8 days for me.

I don't use OTA functions (get my network from the satellite) and don't use HDMI.

I've recorded past the capacity and the unit managed the recordings ok to well.

A few "todo" items "cancelled" after downloading the last version of software.

The unit froze tonite for 1 minute. It seems to have resolved itself.

Would not discount hardware problems - and would give D* a chance to solve the problem.

3. jcormack

jcormack AllStar

Jan 19, 2007
    My first unit had SEVERE audio problems on the 70's series HD channels, ESPN, Universal, Discovery, etc - But was not bad on local HD or SD. All other features worked fine - no recording problems, BSOD or IKD problems - my caller ID worked perfectly. I called D* and they sent out a Tech, he played with the dish & replaced "something" (I was not there) - and the problem with audio remained. He called in and had a replacement FEDEXed - which I installed 3 days later. The good news is the replacement (refurbished) fixed the audio problems I was having. The Bad news is now my caller ID does not work and I have now had a non-watchable recording (off Sci-Fi) and an IKD. Also the tech left with my old RCA SD unit with no Sat signal (I had to move a cable connection at the dish to fix) and lower % signal on both units. I am still evaluating my "replacement"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.