1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Replacing HD-DVR what to do with old one?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kepico, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1 of 10
    kepico

kepico Mentor

May 24, 2009
    Here is what I have;
    HR-23 (hooked to HDTV)
    HR-23 (")
    D12 (hooked to SDTV)
    D12 (")

Whole home SWM setup

I will be replacing one of the HR-23s with a purchased HR-24. What to do with the HR-23?

1. Can the HR-23 replace one of the D12s? I remember when I had the SWM system installed a few cable lines had to be replaced etc. but the line going to the D12 was left alone I believe.

2. Any issue hooking up the HR-23 to a SDTV (it's a spare bedroom so I would rather not replace the TV I would be basically wanting to use the HR-23 as an extra storage space for recordings).

3. Any extra charges from DTV for this? I have the Premier package, I plan to activate the HR-24 and then can I just tell them I switched the HR-23 to replace one of the D12s? Will there be an extra monthly charge for this? Can I do it this way?

4. I think? This would give me 7 tuners so I should be ok if this is possible?

Thanks for the help!

2. Nov 7, 2012 #2 of 10
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Good luck.

3. Nov 7, 2012 #3 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm not sure I'd even confuse the issue with a 23. Once you get the 24, call to activate the 24 and deactivate a D12.

Later go to your online account and you can update the locations of your equipment.

4. Nov 7, 2012 #4 of 10
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Exactly!

5. Nov 7, 2012 #5 of 10
    smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    Yep. Just activate the HR24 and deactivate the extra D12. You'll have 7 tuners which will work fine with your SWM 8. Since HD and DVR charges are global (and not per device), as long as you still only have 4 devices, your bill will be the same.

6. Nov 7, 2012 #6 of 10
    kepico

kepico Mentor

May 24, 2009
    You guys are awesome, thanks!

7. kepico

kepico Mentor

May 24, 2009
    Odd thing I did not think of. I have the old HR23 now hooked up to a SDTV so I want to "hide HD duplicate channels" on it. But I want to keep some of my series manager titles - they are set to record on say BBCHD.

Can I keep the Hide HD channels set? Or will those series now not record? Guess what I am asking is if the hide duplicates setting is for the "guide" like for show only or does it effect everything the receiver does, so now it won't record on BBCHD because I have it set to "hide".

LOL I probably made that a bunch more complicated than it needed to be

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Hooked to an SD tv or not, the HD versions of the same channels look much better even on an SD tv...When I still had an SD tv, I watched all the same HD channels on it. Can you hide HD duplicates? I thought the option was to hide SD duplicates.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have MRV? If so, I'd stick to HD on everything to record, as you can watch it anywhere, and you will always want hd versions everywhere, and as others have said, hd channels look better even on a sd tv.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Solid advice.