1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Replacing R15 Receiver with HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bonnieb, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bonnieb

bonnieb New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I have an R15 DVR attached to an aging Toshiba. Want to upgrade this TV to an HD. This receiver is also used by another TV, via the 'out to TV' coax which goes to an additonal coax jack in the wall behind the set, which I assume is wired to the jack in the other room. If I get a new HD receiver, will I still be able to use this setup to connect it to the other TV?

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The HD receivers do not have a coax output. If you want to keep feeding the second tv through coax, you would need an RF modulator. You can find them at many places like best buy, radio shack, wal-mart, etc.

Here is an $8 RF modulator from Amazon

:)

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Depending on the model of HD receiver/DVR you get, it may or may not have a composite video output (to feed a modulator with). If it does not, then you will also need a component video to composite video, or hdmi to composite video adapter (plus the modulator).

There is also an issue with the HD GUI (menu, list, guide, etc.) not rendering in SD from an HD receiver. So the remote TV will just get a big obnoxious message box on the screen anytime the menu, list or guide is called up on the HD receiver. If you never try to control the receiver from the other room (only watch but don't use a remote), then it will probably still work for you. You can search these forums for more information on this issue, there are several lengthy threads about it.

4. bonnieb

bonnieb New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Might be an instance where it would be worthwhile to have DTV install, rather than self-install?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, DirecTV won't install the SD feed to the second TV with or without modulator. That's outside the scope of their installations.

One other option to consider would be to add another receiver to your account for the other room. Of course, that's another $6 a month but if it is a much used TV it may be worth it. And, even though it is an SD tv, if you put an HD receiver there you could share in whole-home service at that location.

6. bonnieb

bonnieb New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Thanks for the help! Am thinking the additional receiver is the easiest answer and best if I am upgrading TV's anyway. Happy Sunday!!

7. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    A bit of clarity on the HD GUI, it will detect the composit cable connection and pop the your TV or Cables are not HD OSD constantly if the Video line is connected, just like the HDCP error on componate cabling. You can do what your asking just have to start out HD only connections at the receiver and run to converters from there.
    The simplest option is get a unit for the room, you can if want just relocate the R15 to the new room no addional hardware fees or install charges cause it's part of the HD upgrade. *monthly receiver fee applies*