1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reply from DISH execs about Fox Pittsburgh in Upstate NY

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by obrienaj, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    I did email corporate offices and received a response on the bizarre issue of Fox Pittsburgh in New York State. here is the correspondence.

1st email (from me)

Mark,

I noticed your name on the Dish Network press releases concerning the NY Mets package,

Can you answer this simple question, or provide me the name and number of someone that can?

Many of Dish subscribers in Central and Western New York have expressed dismay that upon the demise of the Empire Sports channel, they were assigned Fox Sports Pittsburgh as their RSN. What rule guided this decision? Direct TV and Cable outlets in the same zip codes provide their customers with MSG and Fox NY, not Fox Pittsburgh. Fox Sports' own web page allows a person to enter in their zip code to determine who their RSN should be. When I enter my zip code, the Fox Sports website says that I should get MSG, NOT Pittsburgh. Nothing I can say to the Customer Services reps at DISH produces any logical explanation, most CSRs that I have talked to simply make up responses that are far from factual.
    I have to assume that there is a written regulation that guides Dish on this decision, or that Dish has made giant mistake. I know of several people that have cancelled Dish as a result of this.

Andrew O'Brien

First response

Mr. O'Brien,

Thank you very much for your recent inquiry to DISH Network. We value you as a customer and appreciate your feedback. When Empire Sports Network ceased operations on March 7, 2005, FOX Sports Net-Pittsburgh was broadcast in its place. Contractual restrictions prohibit DISH Network from airing Madison Square Garden Network or FOX Sports Net-New York in the upstate New York area, but we will continue to analyze the situation in advance of our next negotiations to best meet the demands or our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience and again thank you for choosing DISH Network.

Sincerely,

Mark Cicero

Corporate Communications Manager

EchoStar Communications Corporation and DISH Network

(720) 514-5065

Mark.Cicero@echostar.com

My reply............

Thanks Mark for your prompt response. The various Internet groups appear quite full of people canceling Dish because of this, so I would suggest that Echostar revisits the issue sooner rather than later.

Anyway , a couple of additional question....

Since I actually DO receive MSG and Fox NY on Dish via the package that gives me ALL the Fox Sports regional stations, would I then be able to actually receive Mets games , since I am in a region the Mets claims as their market? Currently , even though I am in a Mets claimed area, Mets games are blacked out for my zip code on Dish (not on Direct and cable). Is the contract restriction that you describe related to declaring MSG as the regional RSN for " upstate NY" or is it related to a restriction that does not allow you to broadcast Mets games in upstate NY , perhaps it is for BOTH reasons ?

If most Western and Central New Yorker's natural interest in receiving New York State teams and sports networks can't be satisfied, is there an any legal way for Dish to decide NOT to give Western NY subscribers Fox Sports Pittsburgh as the designated RSN ? Perhaps you can instead provide Fox Sports Ohio as the WNY RSN ? Cleveland is only an hours drive from this area , whereas Pittsburgh is 3 hours away. If MSG if contractually restricted, what contract or rules allows Fox Sports Pittsburgh to be sent to WNY? Can Dish change the rules to allow Fox Sports Ohio to those that have no interested in a distant city like Pittsburgh? I believe the Indians also claim my zip code to be within their market and thus I should be able to receive the games, but they are always blacked out.

Andrew O'Brien

His reply...

Here are a few answers. There are a few questions that we can't comment on:

>Since I actually DO receive MSG and Fox NY on Dish via the package that >gives me ALL the Fox Sports regional stations, would I then be able to >actually receive Mets games , since I am in a region the Mets claims as >their market? Currently , even though I am in a Mets claimed area, Mets >games are blacked out for my zip code on Dish (not on Direct and cable). Is >the contract restriction that you describe related to declaring MSG as the r>egional RSN for " upstate NY" or is it related to a restriction that does not >allow you to broadcast Mets games in upstate NY , perhaps it is for BOTH >reasons ?

Contract restrictions prohibit us from broadcasting FSN and MSG in certain zip codes in upstate New York. I cannot comment further on that.

>If most Western and Central New Yorker's natural interest in receiving New >York State teams and sports networks can't be satisfied, is there an any >legal way for Dish to decide NOT to give Western NY subscribers Fox >Sports Pittsburgh as the designated RSN ? Perhaps you can instead >provide Fox Sports Ohio as the WNY RSN ? Cleveland is only an hours drive >from this area , whereas Pittsburgh is 3 hours away. Again, this comes >down to those same contract restrictions that I cannot go into detail about. If MSG if contractually restricted, what contract or rules allows >Fox Sports Pittsburgh to be sent to WNY? Can Dish change the rules to >allow Fox Sports Ohio to those that have no interested in a distant city like >Pittsburgh? I believe the Indians also claim my zip code to be within their >market and thus I should be able to receive the games, but they are >always blacked out.

I apologize for having to be vague, that is just our policy.

2. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    Doesn't make sense...and Dish KNOWS it doesn't make sense, so they use the "it's just our policy" excuse. Very lame.

3. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Have you ever thought about "moving" to western oneida county? Those addresses qualify for syracuse locals and msg and fox sports new york. Its alot easier than trying to fight with E* maagement on something they really cant fix easily.

4. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    The bottom line is Dish does not want to pay MSG & FSNY for subs in Central & Western NY.

5. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004

But are they paying Fox Pittsburgh instead?

And before Empire, we received MSG and Fox Sports NY. SO if we could get it then , why not now ?

6. jmeluni

jmeluni Mentor

Apr 29, 2002
    If you are in the Syracuse DMA, you will not receive any RSN but Fox Pittsburgh. I know this for a fact as I live in a suburb of Syracuse and I switched to Directv last spring just because I wanted to watch the Yankees and the Mets on YES, MSG, and FSNY, all of which are designated local RSNs for the Syracuse area.

The fact of the matter is, Dish is just to cheap to sign the same type of RSN agreement as Directv. Plain and simple, if you want to watch the Mets or Yankees, switch to Directv!

7. May 1, 2005 #7 of 19
    juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    not true..go to the dish network local channel qualification page and it will tell you which rsn's you will receive for example https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/processAddress.do

8. May 1, 2005 #8 of 19
    obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
  9. May 1, 2005 #9 of 19
    juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
  10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    When I forst got E* in '97, they gave me Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh insted of SportsChannel Ohio, which is the RSN that cable and D* gave their subscribers. It took FSN taking over SportsChannel for me to finally get Cleveland sports.

Don't let anyone at E* fool you, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cheepo Charlie is at it again! Several years ago the Indians pulled their OTA games off WUAB and moved all 150 games to FSNO. The first year was no problem, I got all the games. The second year OTOH was quite different. We Dish Network subs got only 75 out of 150 games. No amount of complaining, crying, or bitching could convince the cheepo pigs to pony up the extra $$$$$$$ that FSNO was "extorting" (that term is from the E* perspective). So what happened? E* lost many subscribers to cable and D* that year. Was it worth it Charlie? Well it looks like they are making the same mistake in WNY. Will they ever learn? :nono2:

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    E* screwed themselves downstate in the Big Apple with YES, so why not balance it out with upstate here in the Queen City with MSG. :)

Of course it’s all about money. Why else could I get 4 regional sports networks with DirecTV and Time Warner or if I lived two miles west, Adelphia, but get one with E*. Their business practices never seize to amaze me. They can strike a deal with some Farsi or Urdu stations (never even knew those languages/ethnics even existed until 2 minutes when I went to the web site) with no problem but yet ignore the biggest sports market in America, and ignore pretty much the entire state, and yet they wonder why I ignore their come back begging offers.

And this is coming from some one who’s not a sports fanatic. I hate baseball and basketball and only follow hockey during the playoffs and I hate my home teams with a passion. If I ever live to see the Bills go 0-16 or the Sabres end a season with less than 30 points, I will die a happy man. If the Buffalo Bills become to Los Angeles Bills or the Buffalo Sabres ever become the Quebec Sabres I will die a very happy man.

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    For you, no problem! Get NHLCI, if they black out Sabers games to you, no loss. :rolleyes:

13. rasheed

rasheed Godfather

Sep 12, 2005
    I'd really liked to have more conversation about international channels on Dish, but you should not be surprised why Dish caters more to international channels than any RSN or whatever else English package. Here are some reasons:

-International customers can pay up to 19.95 for ONE channel that is SD, highly compressed
    -There are very few internationals promo (often no free dish installation)
    -There is a surcharge for international channel customers who don't have English channels
    -Dish often signs exclusive agreements such that no other satellite company can offer the same international channel and very few cable companies offer such channels
    -Dish often charges more than a cable company in those rare cases where a cable company offers the same international channel (which practically never happens on the English side)

As a English and International customer together, I get calls almost everyday from Dish asking me to upgrade my international package (it is very profitable to them -- I'd pay more for just 7 channels than I pay for all 30-40 usable English channels per month).

Basically, an International customer is much higher on the profitability scale than an English-only customer where there is much more competition in providing channels at a low monthly cost. So unfortuantely, these RSN area issues are not as important on a revenue basis. It is definitely Dish who sees that customers complain, but are not willing to switch to another company because of this one channel (although some are willing to make that change, but not enough to warrant high priority consideration?).

Rasheed

14. Nightlife1970

Nightlife1970 Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    Come on think about it.

"FOX" Sports net. I.E. the same guy who owns Direct TV.

You think that they are not trying to stick it to Dish to carry those channels. If there is no money in the channel then you ain't gonna get it.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Does FOX have an interest in MSG? That is one of the RSN's that Western New Yorkers are trying to get. What did they get insted? FOX Sports Net P'burgh! If they did not have a good relationship with FOX they could not offer the P'burgh RSN to WNY. If you read my post above, that very same RSN was given to Northeastern Ohio E* subs when E* began offering RSN's. If you know anything about sports fans in NEO, P'burgh is the most hated region in the world. I believe the reason for FSN P'burgh being offered to NEO was at the time the Cleveland Lumberjacks were the farm team for the P'burgh Penguins. Ironically in the final years of Empire the cable system serving the City of Cleveland offered Empire becuase the Buffalo Bison are the farm team for the Indians.

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I'm beginnig to think the real reason is strictly $$$$. Empire was an RSN with no Major League Baseball team. I bet it cost E* much less to carry Empire than any other RSN. Empire folds and now there are 2 big RSN's both claiming WNY as their territory (not to mention the lack of YES). E* already has to give both RSN's to NYC and Upstate NY subs at the same price that the rest of the nation gets only one RSN.

17. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    Does anyone know if MSG will black out Sabres games in WNY ? It the past they indicated they would, but some major regional satellite install companies told me that they expected a deal to be made at the start of the season. Since the season is about to start, I wonder if there is any new news ?

18. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    For me it's no problem either way, I have DirecTV :)

Sorry to bust any conspiracy theories but, E* has been screwing WNYers out of MSG long before Murdoch took over DirecTV. :) And besides MSG is owned by Cablevision, not News Corp. And before that is mentioned, there has been problems in the past between Dish and Rainbow Media (division of Cablevision that owns a few Fox Sports Nets, Bravo, IFC, AMC and a few others), but it seems to have worked itself out.

19. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Yep, FOX Sports Ohio, formerly SportsChannel was a "Rainbow" net. Evidently FSN Pittsburgh is not and it appears that E* will do everything they can to steer viewers to the cheaper, I mean non Rainbow RSN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.