1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reset Everything == Format?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jkc120, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Ok, now I'm not sure if what I did last night was "formatting" or not.

I hear people recommend formatting for really misbehaved HR20s, but did I actually format it, or just erase all the settings and content when I did a "Reset Everything"?

If I didn't format it, how do I do so? I want to start fresh on this thing, since it's been really acting up with lockups.

TIA!

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Reset Everything = Full format

You can do it from the boot as well, in case you can't get to the Reset Everything item in the menu (due to some sort of hang or freeze)

3. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Ok great, thanks! For some reason I thought there was some crazy front-panel key combination that was required to do a real format.

So what I did was the proper way to format that people suggest for problematic HR20s. Thanks!

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Formatting from the front panel doesn't do as much as the reset everything from the menu, which you will find clears more of the memory chips than "just" formatting the disk [front panel reformat]. If you can't get into the menu, then you need to use the front panel reformat. If you can get into the menu, I would say that's the preferred method. :)

5. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Great, thanks :) I'm going to go home at lunch and try to add as many of my SLs as I can, depending on how much guide data has populated since last night :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.