1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

reset wont allow forced update

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by OneOfOne, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    yeah I know its not life threatening but it used to be easy to do with my h20-100s. now it doesnt happen at all. is there a GUARANTEED way to force updates? meaning if I were to unplug my box for a few seconds and then do the 02468 sequence would that be guaranteed to work? right now my latest update is from 5/11 and it says 'non scheduled' in the future update column.

2. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    The best way to do that is hit menu, go to help & settings, setup, then reset. Hit 02468 when you see the welcome screen. But, you probably have the latest version. So, you won't get anything newer unless you do a CE when they are available.

3. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    the way you mention is not working. thats why I am asking for a way to make certain.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    On those rare occassions that a menu reset or red button reset just does not work at all, I have had to do the unplug reset. I think I've only done that once or twice and not for a long time, but it does happen.

Good luck,
    Tom

5. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Sorry, I missed that. :)

6. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    ok I have hit the red button, did the menu reset, and also the unplug for around 15 seconds. NONE of these methods work anymore.

7. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Does it do anything when you plug it back in?

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So from the last CE: do you see the "welcome" screen or just the wait screen?
    Connecting with an SD composite or S-Video solved it for one user.
    It seems his Philips TV with HDMI didn't show the welcome screen. First screen was past the remote 0 2 4 6 8 time.
    Another thing is to change back to IR if RF doesn't work.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Ok, back to basics:

Are you using IR or RF on the remote control? When all else fails, move back to IR.
    HDMI or component? Are you able to see that very, very first screen saying "Hello"?
    Fresh batteries on the remote control?
    Only pressing 0 2 4 6 8 once per reboot?
    And not pressing ENTER or SELECT or any other keys?
    And not too fast, not too slow on pressing keys?

One person I chatted with, had to hit the keys on the remote as lightly as possible to get the sequence in without keybounce.

I know I've said things you've seen before but sometimes the whole list of basics needs repeating one more time. I hope you understand.

Good luck,
    Tom

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    but but I just ....:lol:

11. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I dont know why but now the original method worked. Ive done this before with no problem so maybe this whole episode is a fluke. anyway thanks for the help but its a dtv thing. I am beginning to really hate this company.

12. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have never had a problem until the other night for the first time. My first H20-600 downloaded first try with no problems. My second H20-600 I tried about 20 times and could not get it to download. I have downloaded every CE on both units and never had a problem until this one. I tried IR, RF, reset by menu, RBR, and pulling the power cord. No luck with any thing I tried.

13. dreamyip

dreamyip Legend

Feb 25, 2006
    I have the same problem on Sat night. I download the CE for two of my H20-600 on Fri night without any problem but couldn't do it for my 3rd one on Sat night. I also tried all th methods(re-set in MENU, hit the red button, unplug the power cord and even had a fan continuing blowing at the receiver). None of these work... At the end, I decided to give up the try.:mad:

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I remember. :)
    Next time try the reset everything first. Since it's a receiver & not a recorder, it really is no big deal [no lost recording etc.].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.