1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Residential Loop-trough wiring and the DSWM13 w/taps

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TreyS, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Hello, I'm buying a home (new construction/ two-story) and noticed it only has two coax wires on the side of the house, yet there are nine coax wall plates in the home. It is on a slab and there doesn't appear to be a distribution hub or D-Marc in any of the closets or attic so I can only assume it has loop-through wiring. My question to you guys, if the home does in fact have loop-through wiring, would DirecTV use a DSWM13 and taps at each wall plate to get the Signal to each receiver in each room or am I S-O-L?

Thanks!

Pic added:

[​IMG]

2. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    For D* Loop Wiring is a NO go - Each location should be Single RG6 to a Central location.

3. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
  4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As the other have said, DSWM13 would be made for residential for at least the very long future. It "seems" your only option with DirecTV would be to pull new runs to the attic. I would assume that you might be able to get your hands on a DSWM13 once they become available but you must buy it yourself and support it yourself

5. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks, I did see in another thread that the DSWM13 was available to buy for around $186. Not sure if I need to be an installer to have access to buy it though. I have no issues supporting it myself if need be too.

Also, pulling home runs from each room to the attic would only work for the second floor. I can't get to the first floor as the construction is already completed. :/

6. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Update: I emailed the builder and they said the coax is all home-run back to the utility closet. Funny thing is there's no wiring panel in there, just a two-gang blank wall plate. I'll have to open it up and take a look when I close on the home but I guess I'm good to go. Thanks again!

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and how many receivers/rooms on the second floor. Are you planing to have DirecTV in all 9 rooms?

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Once you are able to open that up, let us know what you find...

9. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks, I think I will be okay, was just over thinking/ worrying that I couldn't get D*. :goodjob:

I do plan to have two receivers upstairs and three downstairs.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    AIUI, even if you intend to buy and support a DSWM13 based install yourself, DIRECTV will not release the firmware needed by the receivers to operate with a DSWM13.

It's for receivers registered for use in commercial DRE installs only.

11. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Good info, thanks!

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I see no reason a swim system
    Wouldn't work fine for you anyway. It would have been simply a matter if where to connect into the existing system assuming all the splitters where behind the wall plates.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I see no reason a swim system
    Wouldn't work fine for you anyway. It would have been simply a matter if where to connect into the existing system assuming all the splitters where behind the wall plates.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ahhh, forgot about the FW. Thanks !

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I wonder if the firmware would actually be a problem, as the receivers include a choice of a DSWM LNB in the satellite setup menus since the most recent firmware update around New Year's. At least with regular SWM, I am able to choose a SWM LNB on receivers and they still work even though they're connected to a SWM16. For that matter, I have tried selecting the DSWM LNB and they worked fine, but there's no way to know if it is "really" selecting that or just letting me think it did :)

Of course, even if (BIG "if"!!) it does work, for the cost of having to buy your own equipment (not only the DSWM13, but also the special taps required for the loop thru) and doing your own install and supporting yourself forever, you could pay an installer to fish coax through the walls for a clean and fully supported install. There's never going to be scenario where trying to use the DSWM13 loop thru install makes any sense at all in a residential environment, even if could be made to work.

I'd be absolutely astonished if there is any new residential construction using loop thru wiring, so I highly doubt the TS is in that situation anyway.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have seen (worked on) some complex apartments that had loop through wiring. there were only 3 "loops" so two 2-ways worked fine.

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I guess I should have qualified that to say single family residential. I don't know what is or isn't common in multi-family residential.

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Without being able to select the DSWM13 in the firmware, you're "hosed".

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Since you can select a SWM LNB in the firmware when you actually have a SWM multiswitch and it works perfectly, I'm thinking similarly selecting the DSWM LNB may be good enough.

Or maybe it isn't. There's no way to know for sure unless someone has the opportunity to try it, but the whether it works or not is irrelevant since there's no reason why anyone should want to use a DSWM13 outside of its intended market.

If you really had loop thru wiring in your home, it would be better to use a SWM LNB or SWM16 along with a SWM amplifier and the taps. That definitely wouldn't be supported either, but it at least it would be cheaper :)

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're "not getting it".
    There is the dish/LNB selection and then there is the multiswitch selection.
    There isn't a maybe here, and the multiswitch selection is overriding "your" LNB selection..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.