1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Response from dish on local Weather Channel 213 service.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by samhevener, Sep 20, 2010.

1. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Here is an email received from ceo@echostar.com asking when the local Weather Channel 213 will start.

Good Day Mr. Hevener,

Thank you for contacting DISH Network with your question. As part of our discussions with The Weather Channel, we expressed our customer's interest in the option of having more local-focused weather as a counterpart to their current programming line up which has grown to include weather specials and historical weather event programs. As of today, we do not have any additional information on the timeline for the local weather options for Channel 213. However, we value your question and will be submitting it to Charlie Chat as we are sure other customers also have the same request for additional information on this subject.

Thank you,

Melanie ********
    Executive Communications
    10:30 AM - 7 PM MST Sunday
    12:30 PM - 9 PM MST Monday - Thursday
    Dish Network LLC.

2. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    You forgot the time hack every hour on the hour.

3. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
  4. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    That's great for me but how about the rest of my family that aren't computer users?

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Tell them to press the Dish Home button on the remote control,select Yes to load interactive,select News button on the bottom of Interactive,select TWC Weather.:)

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    And wait 5 minutes for it to load.

Well, it's not that bad, but it is a little clunky.

7. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    The radar image is so small you can almost tell it's there. How about a full screen radar image. :mad:

8. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Just get your weather from AccuWeather.Com or Weather.Com. Bonus is they don't disappear during storms just when you most need them.

9. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    Or, just go to NOAA's National Weather Service on your computer. No ads or animated crap at all. Strictly weather customised to your location by entering your zip code / city, state. Simple 7 day forecast with radar and even hour by hour forecast graphic. Fast if you just want to know if its going to rain today or on the weekend. But also full of detail if you want to know more of what mother nature has in store.
    No rain fade or loss of signal during heavy weather is an added bonus.
    Dish Home weather is local but radar screen is tiny and forecast lacks detail.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A channel would be nice ... not only because it was promised but because of it would be convenient and would provide something nationally that other providers don't. Weather on the 8's would be a step in the right direction (and match cable's offering) but would require more work to be done by the receiver to make it work for every different area of the country. DISH promised a better version of that years ago (with alerts on any channel) but failed to deliver. The version available via DISH Home only works via DISH Home or the SD version of the channel ... DISH needs to develop a HD version. (Kinda sad that they got the SD local weather overlay application on channel 214 working just before adding the HD channel 214 - which made watching SD 214 less likely.)

Barring replacement or serious software work on all DISH receivers still in service to provide a full screen "Weather on the 8's" separate regional 213's solve the problem. Delivering via their system the weather they promised to deliver. Sure, we can go to other sources but we're not paying DISH to be told to go elsewhere. We're paying DISH to deliver on their promises.

The least they could do is make channel 213 direct access to the SD TWC application ... so people don't have to go through the DISH Home menu or the SD 214 to get localized weather. This could be done at no cost. Just mirror the current ITV TWC application channel (channel 19075) to 213. The second least would be to produce a new application that was full screen including the same data but larger maps.

I was looking forward to seeing how DISH was going to pull off their promise of live video feed on channel 213 (live on satellite) and make it regionally different but on the same channel number. I like technology and was looking forward to seeing how they solved the problem. But it appears that DISH is simply going to fail at this challenge and the promise of channel channel 213 will simply fade away along with the promise of "any channel" severe weather alerts.

I hope DISH can rise to the challenge instead of slinking away.

11. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

It loads alot faster than that on my 625.:)

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

It is?..Oh wait a minute that's on my 50" screen..sorry.:eek:

13. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    My little 12" set must be the problem. :) I hope Charlie brings up the Channel 213 service in the next Charlie Chat per the email from Dish.

14. mrc54

mrc54 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Internet weather is the best, but in heavy storms, internet can go out. This Summer it happened, had to use local channels that went full time with radar. The sub channels also broadcast weather full time.

15. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    You need a different ISP.

16. mrc54

mrc54 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Look at my location, there are only two and they are both terrible !!