1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ressurrected Classic Shows

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by SayWhat?, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1 of 10
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    No, not remakes, the real things. Aside from everything showing up on independent networks like Antenna, MeTV and RTV, more and more are showing up on existing cable/satellite channels.

Rawhide, Laredo and Marshall Dillon are now on Encore Westerns. (Afternoon block, Lawman, Have Gun Will Travel, Laredo, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Marshall Dillon, Gunsmoke)
    TVGuide Channel is running several older series.
    Hallmark just started running the Bob Newhart Show
    Spin City and Wings are back on Reelz

Some other channels are running a couple of older shows among their regular schedules; HUB, GMC, INSP and WGN for example.

Will the network stuffed shirts take notice are start producing real TV again?

2. Jan 4, 2012 #2 of 10
    mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I hear "Captain Nice" is getting a revisit. :D

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 10
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I get RTV from CT and they run old shows. I DVR Peter Gunn, I Spy & Naked Ciy.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #4 of 10
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Sometimes it's better not to see those old shows you remember so fondly. Often they turn out not to be all that good ...

5. Jan 5, 2012 #5 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem with old shows, say westerns as an example, - I have the entire "Gunsmoke" series - is you can't compare them to shows like "Hell on Wheels" or "Deadwood" IMHO. While "Gunsmoke" is a great classic as a "body of work", because of many factors you know while you are watching they are dated.

Nonetheless, there will never be a western on TV again that will match "Gunsmoke" for popularity, length of run, etc.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #6 of 10
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The old classic are better.

Period.

I don't even like the later Gunsmoke movies. It's obvious the values changed and the movies are far more violent and mean-natured.

7. Jan 5, 2012 #7 of 10
    reber1b

reber1b Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    One thing about Gunsmoke -- you can watch it with your kids or grandkids. Deadwood, on the other hand, is not something I would want to watch with kids.

8. Jan 5, 2012 #8 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I wouldn't disagree about the "more violent and mean-natured" nor about watching "Deadwood" with "your kids or grandkids."

But I've always been a little uncomfortable about creating a sanitized version of "the old west" which is currently being portrayed by "Hell on Wheels" closer to how things were after the Civil War.

In the extensive analysis of the character Marshal Matt Dillon in Wikipedia we are offered:
    The setting is Dodge City, Kansas, which has it's own history heavily associated with the Army through Fort Dodge after the Civil War when the Indian Wars in the West began heating up.

It's not possible in my mind that Dillon somehow escaped the trauma of fighting in the Civil War.

And frankly a U.S. Marshal during that time ... well ... I'll let Wikipedia's description explain:
    Maybe it's impossible to create a believable character within an accurate historical framework, but it would have been interesting even for kids to know how Matt Dillion handled the census duties in 1870.;)

9. Jan 5, 2012 #9 of 10
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Fine with me. I have no interest at all in character backgrounds or family history. I hate it when TV shows go that route. I lost all interest in JAG when it turned into the "Harmon Rabb, where's my Daddy" show.

As far as unwarranted violence, one of the "Marshall Dillon" episodes has Dillon beating a man for no apparent reason other than to humiliate him. These half-hour episodes were the forerunner to Gunsmoke.

Yeah, they leave a lot of that kind of stuff out. You never saw Hunter or Hill and Renko doing much paperwork or making court appearances. Some, but no where near what would be real.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Naked City is still great for me because they use NYC as their location and I'm always looking for places I remember.