1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring Deleted Recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lovingit, Oct 27, 2010.

1. lovingit

lovingit New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Ok, so my girl friend accidentally deleted ALL recordings on my HR23. Being the tech geek that I am, I know that these are still on the hard drive, so opened up the unit (yeah I know it violates the lease agreement, but I just had to try to restore the deleted recordings), plugged the Hard Drive into my PC and performed a restore with EASUS Data Recovery Wizard.

The results? It looks like I got all files, though to my astonishment, it looks like recordings are enconded in ShockWave Flash file format.

My question is how do I put these back into the drive?

I loaded Ubuntu Linux so that I could mount the drive using the following:

mount -t xfs -o retdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /media/dvr

I am able to see the complete HD DVR directory structure, but I am not sure where to copy my restored files too. I played around a bit copying files to a few locations but they are not showing up on the list.

Does anyone have an idea of where should I copy these files to?
    Is there a record list file that needs to be rebuilt with the recording names?

Thanks

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The recordings were still there even after being deleted, there was no need to restore them. The reason you don't see them however is because they are no longer referenced by the DVR, meaning there is 1 file that keeps track of where recordings are on the unit and when a recording is "deleted" the only thing that is removed is the reference point in that file. The recordings don't technically get deleted until they are overwritten by another recording.

That being said good luck finding the file that references recordings. You're pretty screwed. Keep your girlfriend away from your remote in the future. :)

3. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    And when you have to send the unit back to D* make sure you have a good credit card ready to pay for it.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    How did she delete every show? Geez.

5. Rkw1111

Rkw1111 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2006
    by using the yellow button to mark programs to delete, then arrowing over and hitting mark all. It is dumb that the default when you arrow over is "mark all" instead of "continue". Came close a couple of times myself.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I see. I'd dump the gf. :lol: jk...kinda. ;)

7. lovingit

lovingit New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks Runner,

I did see some files out there that didn't get to seem deleted, though they did look pretty small, and all are about the same size. So perhaps these are the reference files to the actual recordings since technically, when the mount on linux occurs it is via the 2nd/smaller 16GB partition, and I guess these refer to blocks/locations on the third partition accordingly. So maybe if the recording listings could get rebuilt with the old data, all files could be re-reference accordingly. If that's the case though, then maybe I won't be able to restore the large files and have to rely solely on being able to rebuild the recodings list so that it references the small files (whcih would then reference the blocks/locations on that 3rd partition.) This also means my time may be running out, since in order to watch TV, I had to put the unit back together, and with the nature of the DVR, as I watch TV, my recordings are probably getting ovewritten. :-(

If anyone has info on the recording listings, then please share the knowledge :)

8. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Nice try, they'll never know the hood was popped.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Sure they will, the do not remove sticker leaves a nice "VOID" mark on the unit. :)

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yeah, sounds like part of a "dumb blonde" joke.

11. lovingit

lovingit New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Actually for some odd reason, my box did not leave the "VOID" mark at all. This box came with a tech to replace my old HR21 that kept freezing up after a while. I am not worry about it though, I called DirecTV a few months ago and buying out the unit is an option and it was not an outrageous price... the only thing is, if I buy, and then it breaks, I'll be out of luck for service since I will be 100% responsible for parts and labor.