1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Resurrection

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dmspen, Mar 10, 2014.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We watched Resurrection last night. It's based on the French show 'The Returned' which is evidently really good.

Resurrection was OK, but people seemed too stunned with the developments int he story and didn't take, what I thought, were obvious actions.

Thoughts?

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Greatly enjoy it and looking forward to see where they go with the story.

3. rbonzer

rbonzer Legend

May 13, 2002
    My wife saw the preview and realized it is from a book. Same names and location. She said the book was short so she wonders what they will do. I haven't seen it yet but am looking forward to it.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What bugs me about this show is that everybody was more interested in why they are back but not they are back and not aged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Hooked so far. But hope they add more plot with each succeeding return.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    This is just a new version of "The 4400".

7. grunes

grunes New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    College...
    OK idea, but slow plot development, and they will compete for the same time slot with very popular shows on other networks, joined next week by similar genre show Believe.

And next week's previews give too much of their plots away.

Little chance of success.

BTW, I don't believe the INS guy could stay there that long and keep his job. Especially after he lied about getting back the DNA results.

The show is probably a copy of Orphan Black. I.E., the dopplegangers are clones.

Either that, or they are miracles, and the show proselytizes Christian Theology.

8. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    hmm, how did I let this one slip by?

9. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    From wikipedia: The series is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott. Although similar in concept to Les Revenants, it is based on a different source, and Resurrection has no connection to the French movie or TV series. Source: Slate (some spoilers)

10. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    That's interesting. I'll have to tell the daughter. Thanks.

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Where's Pee Wee Herman? (Oh...I guess this is not a remake of Flight of the Navigator)

12. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    OK, now I've seen it, and while I always expect them to coast and pick the low-hanging fruit when the concept is based in something so emotional and superdramatic (which is why I abhor medical dramas---the drama is already there and built in and the writers can basically phone the rest in) I have to give them credit for not doing that, and for using real skill in crafting the story. They made it compelling. If things stay at this level of quality, I'm in. But if if falls very much, I'm probably out. Pretty good cast, too. I was expecting to not really be this impressed.

"Flight" did it first (or decades earlier), but they are doing it better.

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Lets see. Young Jacob is resurrected in a Chinese rice paddy wearing a clean red shirt and jeans. Things get funky after being immersed in a rice paddy. The audience can only guess how much time he spent with the Chinese before they shipped him to the states. When he arrives in the states he's still wearing the same red shirt and jeans. He spends time with Martin wearing the same attire. He is then reunited with his patents wearing the same clothing. After that he is admitted to the hospital wearing the same red shirt and jeans. That's a lot of time for Jacob to spend wearing the same "clean" red shirt and jeans. Looks like the show's wardrobe department operates on a shoestring budget. :sure:

14. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Maybe as a Resurrectee his clothes never get dirty! It's a special power!
    I noticed the same thing...that's one of the issues I have with many shows. Clothes are too clean or too nice, especially in 'era type' TV shows. Cars are too clean, teeth are too white, too straight, etc. Hair is too nicely cut and stays clean for long periods of time.

15. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I normally let thing like that slide but even I noticed it when he wakes up on his back in the rice paddy but as he is walking toward the Chinese workers his back is dry. I can actually see the not changing it at least for the first episode as the team displayed was a major part of the story.

16. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    If that is what upset you I can't see how you can suspend disbelief for anything. BTW, this little boy did not actually disappear or reappear, he is an actor. And he has a different name. And you are not really seeing the actors, you are seeing light from a LCD or plasma light engine; it just looks like real people. But it isn't.

There is something called creative license that is a part of every show. Use your first instinct, and let it slide next time. Most shows have many more things that are wrong or improbable. Star Wars still thinks you can hear explosions in the vacuum of outer space, but yeah, I let that slide.

17. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    His mom made a point of asking him to wear something else in the second episode. She had to go get his belongings -- but then decided to buy him new clothes instead.

In fact, I think it was supposed to be a key (yet subtle) point.

18. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    ABC is making it hard to watch and easy to give up watching. Somehow last weeks episode was canceled, it's not on demand, and I can't watch it on abc.com, since DirecTV isn't listed as a provider. You think they'd make it easier to catch a missed episode.

19. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    That's weird. None of mine have been cancelled. Was it a DVR malfunction?

I went to this link http://abc.go.com/shows/resurrection/episode-guide/season-01/103-two-rivers for last week's episode and it played right away for me. ABC.com did not ask me my provider or anything. I just clicked on "shows" => "Resurrection" => "Watch Now" on the left side, and then all the episodes were listed below. I just clicked on the 3/24 episode and it started playing immediately.

Are you seeing something different?

20. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I think it was a kid malfunction ;) When I went to watch it on abc.com, it went to a page of providers for me to log in, directv wasn't an option. Now that's it's been 8 days, I should be able to watch it.