1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retail Hell: Opening your own independent game store

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From Next Generation:

Retail Hell

Opening your own independent game store can be a very rewarding experience, if by rewarding you mean lousy business deals, soul-crushing price drops, and a sinking feeling that you’ve made a terrible, terrible decision.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

And, quite frankly, I want to strangle the guy who said "Set your own hours! Be your own boss!"

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    This line was invented by a person who firmly believes in the statement that "There's a sucker born everyday." If you have your own business you have a multitude of bosses, each one you call a customer. Anyone who falls for the line is the sucker, as I sit here in my "office" being my own boss. I wouldn't have it any other way.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    To reduce the situation to one word - RETAIL SUCKS!

Why would anyone want to be locked up in retail jail for 8-12 hrs a day taking repeated verbal abuse from brain-dead customers and trying to keep the other eye on determined shoplifters? If I had gone into retail years ago I wouldn't be writing this now. I would be up the river for multiple counts of murder and mayhem against those same clueless idiot low-life shoppers.

Speaking of shopping, recently, my then gf and I went for a drive one Sunday and somehow wound up at one of these ubiquitous discount factory outlet shopping smalls. One particular store sold brand-name logoed sports attire. My then gf "suggested" two items - a light-blue ("it matches your eyes") Nike (just do it) team jacket, and a set (pair?) of purple sweats by some French-sounding guy named Ralph I've never heard of. On our way home she said "What a bargain you got - you'll thank me when you try them on.", by way of apology for running roughshod over my male shopping prerogatives.

The next day while she was at work I secretly drove the 30 mile round-trip again to take the stuff back. The same guy who rang up the transaction was there - remembering me, he gave me the official retailer's "What's the problem?" look just before he officially asked me "What's the problem?" I don't remember, but I must have said something, because he then let out an exaggerated "Hmpf" to whatever it was I said in defense of my thoughtless actions.

I walked out with a $116.xx cash refund for the debit transaction I had made the previous day, wondering if they had violated some obscure banking regulation by giving me cash back.

I would never have the patience to do retail and you should't have to ask why she's now my "ex" gf. :nono:

:shrug:

4. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    :lol:

5. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I did retail for a while when I was in tech school and getting my recording studio business started. I worked in a "catalog showroom" type store (LaBelle's in Wayzata, MN) in their audio dept. The audio guys were the "elite" of the sales people in the store. All the other employees had to wear white shirts and ties. The "audio guys" could wear jeans, no ties and open shirts (well, at the top anyway). I actually had quite a bit of fun there, probably only because I was an "audio guy". I still remember seeing a young boy shopping the record department with his mother. The youngster grabbed a record out of the bin and took it over to mom and declared "Hey, mom, look at this. Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings". :D

6. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yeah, kid -- he was in some band named after a stinkin' Nazi car, now shoo, get the hell outta here! :grrr:

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I couldn't ever work in retail, crappy hours, holidays, blah blah blah. In fact, I hate shopping so much I won't even go try on clothes. I rather take a butt whoopin' than go spend 2 hours at J.C. Penney. My wife brings clothes home and if I don't like them or they don't fit she takes them back. Once a year I might go shopping for a new pair of boots or sneakers. I go to the mall once a year around Christmas but now that my daughter ready to start driving I'll just give her some money.

However, you might catch me at Best Buy or CC or the Home Depot. :D

8. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I used to go Christmas shopping at the Mall of America when I lived in Minnesota. The nice thing about that experience was that I could make one trip and find ANYTHING that anyone wanted for Christmas. It was a one day shopping event. I find it amazing though that the Mall of America actually draws more out of state visitors to Minnesota than Disney World draws to Florida.

9. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Yeah, the MOA is spectacular. I've seen it on TV but that's enough for me. Northwest airlines has special one day excursion flights to MOA. My wife wanted to go on one of those once but she quickly forgot about it after I clubbed her in the head a few times. :p

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It's amazing how many people I personally know heard the same kid say the same thing in different parts of the country! :D
    The story one time morphed to "before he sang with Michael Jackson" right after "Ebony & Ivory" and "The Girl is Mine"

I worked in home entertainment stores and departments and cell phone stores all retail for close to 20 years. Retail is hell, but it used to be lucrative. Infortunately, those days are gone. The shopping public decided that a true professional, informed, trained and commissioned selesperson was unnecessary and chose (by shopping strictly price) that the pimply-faced, uninformed and uncaringing, minimum-wage, hourly clerk. (The Wal*Mart effect)

I always chuckle whenever a customer at any of these stores complains that they get no service! That is what we Americans chose with our shopping habbits. Live with it!

See ya
    Tony

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The best thing about the Mall of America is the Aquarium underneath it. I go through that everytime I visit. However, going there every couple of years is great plenty. It is too big for everyday shopping. Unless you can drive from one wing to another.

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Rabbit has two "b's".
    Habit has only one of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.