1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retailer Chat, Aug 14 - few details, etc...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Darkman, Aug 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Good Retailer Chat today...
    I had opportunity to watch some of it ( and have a tape now as well, to watch more attentively later :) )

But quite informative Retailer Chat today..
    I ll maybe try to post some details from it later (unless someone good with transcripts can Post the Entire thing)...

But here are few details now:

Echostar 9 is launched now...they hope to have it in service around 1st of October..
    Lots of new Internationals will eventually be at 121
    105 location satellite is at "Test" currently - it will have New Local markets there and HDTV...
    Around 1st of October will be some major announcements (SuperDish etc - i guess), and therefore more stuff for Retailers to sell...
    it will complecates the Installs somewhat.. Installs will become more complecated etc cuz of Superdish...
    Little bit more expertise will be needed...

"That's what is going on...We continue to invest in this business" - Charlie said.... Echostar 10 will be launched as well (in the works as we speak - will be launched in 2005) .. Echostar 10 will be as a back up for the Locals markets, and also will have additional advanced capacity for the future services..

Good news happened - a "stay" as to Distance Locals..
    But it is still an ongoing battle...

Locals:
    WINK, FT Myers - CBS - became available to Subscribers on Aug 6

New locals coming - Anchorage Alaska, official announcement, - available to Subscribers on Aug 28, 2003...
    They also showed AMED describing the upcoming Alaska locals launch in his "special" way :D
    At the end he said - "It sure cold there out here, I gotto get inside" - or something like that.. :)
    Alaska's locals will be missing 2 channels (as of today) at the launch date... So the price therefore would be 4.99 (instead of 5.99) per month
    With Alaska - it will be 71 local markets to date...

BTW - Charlie had a Very nice shirt at the show :)

Philadelphia locals - the ones at 129 are moving to 61.5...
    Simulcasting at both of the above mentioned locations will go till Sept 30th... But all the new installs will occur at 61.5
    Will be nice for customers as they would require smaller dish now...

Jim said: "With new satellites - we ll now have lots more Capacity, so here are.." :

POTENTIAL LOCAL MARKETS for 2003
    (listed alphabetically) :

Albany, NY
    Baltimore, MD
    Bakersfield, CA
    Boise, ID
    Charleston, WV
    Chattanooga, TN
    Columbia, SC
    Clumbia-Jefferson City, MO
    Columbus, OH
    Eugene, OR
    Evansville, IN
    FT, Smith, AR
    Greensboro, NC
    Green Bay, WI
    Hartord, CT (hehe - Scott)
    Johnstown-Altoona, PA
    Madison, WI
    Medford, OR
    Memphis, TN
    Milwaukee, WI
    Richmond, VA
    Savannah, Ga
    Sherman, TX - ADA, OK
    South Bend, IN
    Springfield, MO
    Traverse City, MI
    Wichita, KS
    Wilkes Barre, PA
    Yakima, WA

(I counted 29 - i think, ...with Alaska - 30 markets)

Lots were talked on this Chat about DVR Fees, reasons why, stracture of fees, and comparison with other simular DVR fees out there (re: competitors)
    Actually - they spoke pretty cool about it, seems like they are confident in the reasons why they doing it, etc...
    (Maybe i can quote some more later from what They said about DVR fees...later when i watch chat more closely)
    All i can say - DVR fees were discussed a lot during the chat...
    Charlie said i recall - they are counting on more people wanting to pay the monthly fees and have reduced or free DVR, then to pay upfront...
    Besides - it is only 10 bucks with America 50
    where - it is only 5 bucks with America 100/150
    and - it is FREE with Everything pack

There - i am watching it now:
    they start out with a dishplayer - there were also a fee for it..
    They always felt - when they go to 510, 522, 921, etc - there is a trade off.. - they can charge more for products and continue to give a free DVR... or they can keep the costs down, and do some more promotions, in which sometimes DVR could be free too..
    DVR costs more, expecially with 120 gig HD..
    so economically they gotto look for ways to counter costs, etc...
    Will them some capital to go advertising...
    There is always trade off - but they had to make a decision.
    Jim: "we know since big dishes, the lower we can make the ENTRY cost for the customer, the better we are in a long run"

DishDVR 510 fees:
    America Everything - NO CHARGE
    Americal top 150/Dish Latino Max, 100/Dish Latino DOS - 4.98/mo
    All other programming - 9.99/mo
    DishPVR 501/508 and 721 are Grandfathered from DVR fees...

Here is a structure table/comparison of simular Fees (examples) :

DVR MODELs and Comsumer Offers:

Dishnet - 501, 508 (1 Tuner) - 60 hr (record time) - Cost $199, Free Dish, Monthly Fee - FREE
    Dishnet - 510 (1 tuner) - 100 hr (record time) - Cost FREE, FREE DISH, Monthly fee - $0 - $9.99
    TiVo - Series 2 (1 tuner) - 80 hr (record time) - Cost $299 w $50 rebate, Monthly fee - $12.95
    TiVo (DrecTV) - HDVR2, 2 Tuner, 40 hr (record time) - Cost $249, Monthly fee - $0 - $4.99
    Scientific Atlanta (Cable) - 8000, 2 Tuner - 50 hr (record time) - LEASE FEE, Montly fee $4.99 - $9.95

Charlie: " We are leaders in DVR technology - the most variety of products, and we WILL continue to IMPROVE the technology and doing so now as we speak :) "

SuperDISH HDTV Bundle (coming up)
    1 lot - will not mention the cost to Retailers
    MSRP (manufactred suggested retailer price) - to the customer - $1499
    Will include:
    Choose either a 34" Monitor or a 40 " rear projection set
    Dish 811 Receiver
    SuperDISH antenna

-----------
    OK ..I am tired for now...

to futher note - it was quite a long chat today...

Next Retailer Chat - Thursday, Sept 4, 12 noon, Eastern Time

Next Consumer Charlie Chat - i think he said - Sept 8, 9:00 PM. Eastern time (i could be wrong on this one though)

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Holy SH*T!

I will believe it when I see it though. :D

3. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    I thought you might like that one, Scott :)

Well - that mention of Hartford as a "possibility" is better then nothing :p

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Charlie clarified DVR fees will be applied per DVR not by account.
    JIM answered a question about stopping DVR capabilities on 510 to eliminate fees. If you buy a DVR510 a DVR fee will be applied to each one. This means DISH will not have a receiver that does Dolby Digital without having a DVR fee until the 811 makes it to the market.

5. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    What happened to:

Mobile, AL
    Tri-Cities, VA/TN
    Davenport, IA/Rock Island, IL
    Lincoln, NE
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Wausau, WI
    Duluth, MN
    Missoula, MT

These were all on the press release issued three months ago, but are now no longer on the list.

6. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Well - hehe - they weren't mentioned....

So - hmmmm - who knows ..if in 2003 or when then...

Do not forget - that all those are more likely "subject to change" anyhow ( with, for example, couple of drop-outs here and there, couple surprise additions here and there :) )
    Even though "Subject to Change" wasn't mentioned in their on-screen Slate...

However in previous anouncements where the "What happened to" locals that you mentioned were announced, it CLEARLY stated - "Subject to Change"

7. marko

marko Godfather

Jan 8, 2003
    Wonder what kind of TV is in the HD pack (Brand). Also, aren't 34 inch tv's typically the widescreen model?

8. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes.. i believe 34 inch tv (shown) was Widescreen HDTV one...

9. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, from my understanding, a 34" has the same screen hight as a 27" 4:3 tv.

10. DTV

DTV Cool Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Sure is convenient that he uses discounted prices when comparing his DVR's and the MSRP when doing his competition. The free 510 doesn't sound as appealing when you do an apples-apples comparison of new subscriber deals. For a new sub a DirecTivo can be purchased for $49 installed. That's a far cry from the $249 good ol' Charlie quoted. It becomes even better when you add the fact that a current DirecTV sub can get a DirecTivo for around $159-179.

11. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    Preliminary reports are that it is the RCA 34" widescreen. But we'll have to wait and see.

12. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
  13. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    DTV, Congrats on your "registration"! :p

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    On the previous chat Charlie announced RCA was the manufacturer. On this chat he announced RCA would service these TVs.

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Champaign, IL AIN'T there anymore!!! :nono: :mad2:

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Apparently that new sub price of $49 is not available out here on the Left Coast. The price I was quoted on the DirecTV website is $199 with a one year Total Choice commitment. That's for one of those fancy 35 hour (40GB?) DirecTiVo units.

If you want to do an apples-to-apples comparison, you should probably be looking at the 501 versus the DirecTiVo.

Subscribing to DHP and paying $50 to upgrade to a 60 hour 508 unit looks like a pretty good deal. In the first year, the DirecTiVo would cost me $258.88 and $59.88 for each year thereafter. A 508 would cost me $50 now ($199 on "Free Dish program) and that would be the end of it.

Obviously, the TiVo part of DirecTiVo must not be ignored, but since price is an object, you'll have to show me where I can score a DirecTiVo for $49.

To be honest, I'm not all that intrigued by owning the equipment given the rate at which things look to be changing.

17. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Harsh, it took me about 8.5 seconds to find a better deal than the $199 you are quoting for new subs. I couldn't find $49 in the 8.5 seconds, but I found one for $69 - including installation:
    www.orbitsat.com

Right on their front page is a link to DVR's. Not hard to find at all. Also try www.americansatellite.com

Are you seriously comparing a single-tuner 501 to a dual-tuner HDVR2?

You also can't ignore the $4.99 fee for ALL DirecTivo's on an account, not $4.99 for EACH PVR.

Also, the Dish 510 requires a 2-year commitment.

While I don't see the fee as a problem if improvements are continual, I see the per PVR fee as a serious brain-cramp on the part of the marketing department. Talk about not knowing your competition.

I think the addition of the local markets will only bolster both D* and E*'s position against cable. Way to go, E*! There's nothing like some good old-fashioned capatalistic competition.

18. Stu

Stu Mentor

Jul 12, 2002
    Another list of future locals to be added by Dish....... and once again no mention of Norfolk VA...........

Oh well.......... maybe in 2004............

;)

19. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I wonder what SBC will be doing with their pricing structure since they will be handling the billing structure - maybe dropping fees or rates with bundled phone service. Might be a good thing for people in SBC areas...

20. DTV

DTV Cool Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah...okay. You're right I should have compared a single tuner DVR to a dual tuner PVR.

What are you smoking? How does the 501 even remotely compare to a DirecTivo? The only thing they have in common is the 40GB hard drive which by the way can be upgraded on the DirecTivo in less than 30 minutes. How long will it take you to upgrade the hard drive in a 501? (Hint...it's a trick question)

Besides what good will the extra drive space do on your Dish DVR when the next software update wipes the drive clean :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.