1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

retentions special number for former customers??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by churdie, Sep 15, 2011.

1. churdie

churdie Legend

May 4, 2003
    have dish want to call rententions directly see what they can offer going to cost me $200 to get out of dish contract want to jump back any help appreciated

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Have you tried to call the regular number 1-800-DIRECTV and see what may be available to you? That's got to be the best place to start.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    There is no special number for former customers.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Why would you even want to call retentions when you a no longer a DirecTV customer?

5. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Did you even read the OP ? He wants to come back and wants to know what retention will do for him.

6. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    "Retention" doesn't make sense for someone who is already gone.

7. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    If he's not a current customer there's nothing to "retain".

8. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    What the OP needs to do is set up a three way conference call between himself...'DirecTV Customer Acquisition' and 'Dish Customer Retention' and watch the feathers fly. :)

9. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    The OP needs to get a "new customer" deal, assuming he hasn't been a Direct client the past 2 years. I did get a :lol: about calling "retentions".....

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are you sure about the amount or are you using DIRECTV's ETF numbers? DISH Network charges $17.50/month remaining on the commitment and that never comes out to nice round multiples of $100.

I understand that the principle is the same, but you need to understand precisely what you're up against.

Calling retention after being away for more than a year is a very, very long shot. If DIRECTV is willing to treat you as a "Born Again Virgin" customer, you may come way out ahead of what you would otherwise get for reactivating.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Retention does not apply to a former customer..it only applies to a current customer thinking of truly leaving, and also not just someone trying to leverage the threat of leaving either...

12. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    The OP may be referring to the Directv Winback department. If it still exists, they most likely send you flyers with winback offers. Your old account # is keyed to their offer and the phone number would be on the flyer.

I would think the 1-800-DIRECTV number would direct you to winback program.

13. timdh

timdh Cool Member

Sep 3, 2007
    For what it's worth, I just signed up with Directv again today after being with AT&T Uverse for about 18 months. I got the deals a new customer would get (free HBO/Sho/Cinemax/etc for 3 months, free HD DVR plus 1 free HD receiver, $$ off my monthly bill for the first year, free NFL package, etc) plus as a former customer I did not have to go through a credit check. They also threw in an extra $5 off per month for 1 year, free shipping ($20 value) and an instant $25 credit for the 1st month when I asked if they could do anything else for me.

Bottom line, they wanted me back and were very willing to give me good deals to return. The number I called was the Directv phone number right on the front page of their web site. I would call their main number and be completely honest about what you need help with.

Tim

14. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    I quit just three months ago. I don't plan to come back but I got offer to come back with a $30 discount for 12 months plus up to $200 to pay off an early termination fee with offer code wkb2. Watch your email cause thats where I got the best offers.

You can also get someone to send you an email referral and see if it allows you to sign back up as a new customer. No need to switch names or alter your address either. That worked for me just about a year ago.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So in the past year, you've changed providers 3 times? I'd never be able to figure out all the different equipment.

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I got a very attractive offer from Fios that would have saved me about $25 a month vs my current DirecTV service. I already have Verizon Fios Internet and phone service.

Once Verizon added the local taxes, which aren't shown on their web site until your final acceptance screen, the actual monthly saving was around $3.

It's not worth learning a new system for that small savings. I especially like DirecTV's local channel numbering in the single and double digits. For example, I get CBS HD on channel 2 now but with Fios CBS HD is channel 502.