1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rethink HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sstv, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I have an HR24 500/AM21 and a H23 on a swm system. I replaced a HR20-100 and a H20. The H20 had IR problems and the HR20 had HDD problems.

The HR24 is fast but the HR20 was no slow poke so the speed thing was no big deal for me.
    If you are thinking about a HR24, I would hold off until the BUGS are worked out.
    There is a problem with the AM21 not recording correctly, I missed a few shows last week on PBS because of this.
    The audio from both OTA and Sat has a lot of"Snap, Crackle, and Pop" on a random basis.
    DTV is working on all of this so I guess we just wait for the fix, but I kinda miss my HR20:)
    SSTV
    since94

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I see you're in Dallas...why are you even recording OTA when we get all networks via the sat?

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I think your avatar says it all... Don't Panic.

These are bugs that we be fixed, if someone has a chance to get a HR24 then get it.

4. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Id still take the HR24 (have had an HR20/21 and 22), even though the OTA bug p's me off.

5. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi Sigma
    When the Fall season starts, a quick check revealed that most of my recordings were local. The quality of OTA in Dallas is very good on all channels.
    When you go to bed and a few of those thunder bumper storms roll thru, you dont want to view your recordings to see."searching for sat".
    OTA is bullet proof and my system is on a UPS.
    SSTV
    since94

6. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Wow, what shows are that important that you have a ups on it?

7. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Ive had a UPS on my HDDVR's for 4 years now. Nothing worse than missing 20 minutes of a show for a flicker. Also handy during a hurricane.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Exactly why I have a small UPS on mine. Small power blip and it takes a while for the receiver to boot.

9. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    They are getting better though, the 24 beats the snot outta the 22 bootup.

10. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    I have 2 HR24-500s, and have not had any problems!

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I do know what you mean about the audio issues but it's limited to only certain TVs and generally only to Dolby Digital, if that helps.

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    :confused:

If it's important enough to record, it's important enough to have a ups.

Why wouldn't you put a ups on a dvr? Heck, I've got 6 of them throughout the house on most of my components.

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I have 6 of them just behind my home theater rack and another 8 throughout the house on various computers, etc.

Not only do you not lose programming due to glitches in the power (which are routine in rural Iowa), you have line switching away from surges, as well as built in surge protection. None of this even addresses the issue of our sat boxes being sub-glorified computers, with large hard drives (that can't be backed up). Now, who in their right mind would subject their computer hard drives to less than graceful power loss and the surge when coming back up.

My order of importance for UPS' is:

1. Prevent hardware failures (specifically hard drives)
    2. Protect against surges/dirty power/restart issues.
    3. Not lose a complete recording because of a 1 second power gllitch.

14. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Huh, basically anything I record. If I record it, i dont want to miss it. Especially during FOOTBALL season. My wife almost made me ditch Direct years ago because she a had a large group over for here gators and a storm rolled in.

Well between 20-35 with searching for sat and then boot up, they missed a huge portion of the game. Here in SFLA you need it.

15. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Same reason I do here in SFLA with rain storm, FOOTBALL season.

Between 20-35min with searching for sat and then boot up, who wants miss a huge portion a game? Here in SFLA, recording OTA with networks ensures you wont miss anything.

16. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I have a healthy sized UPS for my entire home entertainment system and another one for my computers and router.

17. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I have a 450 va UPS that powers my HR24 and SWM PI. This will give me about 45 min of down time. I could add my LCD tv but that wouldcut my run time very short.
    The UPS cost me about $40.00 and works very good
    SSTV
    since 94

18. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Wow, so much I want to comment on in this thread I don't know where to start.

I completely agree. Having used HR20-700s for years, I recently had my first experience with HR22s and HR24s. The HR22 is a bit molasses-like in terms of speed compared to the HR20. The HR24s are snappy and faster than the HR20s, but the HR20s were fast enough that speed wasn't an issue. The HR22s, well, I wouldn't want to have to use one all the time due to the slow speed of the UI.

As for OTA using the HR24 with the AM21, I started a thread about a week ago on the HR24-100's seeming inability to successfully tune 2 OTA channels at the same time without the picture and sound breaking up on both - one OTA at a time works fine but not two at a time. With the HR24-500, I'm about to start another thread to outline the results of a test of OTA recording reliability.

I can't speak for the Dallas locals, but at least for Memphis picture quality of OTA is significantly better than from satellite. The satellite locals are over-compressed. I suspect this is true of most cities except possibly LA and New York, which may get allotted more bandwidth - just guessing on that.

Exactly. I don't want to miss 10 minutes of a recorded show because the power blinked and the DVR had to reboot. (I miss enough recordings due to software bugs, thanks.) In addition, a UPS should provide better surge, spike, and noise protection.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I can speak for Dallas and the sat feeds are excellent PQ. They used to be bad, but that was 3-4 years ago.

20. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    My local sat hd feeds look good, but are still visibly soft compared to the OTA feeds (55" tv). I bought a 1TB EHD because I like to record 100% OTA locals, but I'm stuck until the bug is fixed. I know we are a small minority, but local PQ matters to me.