1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrans Part of DISH/Lifetime Deal

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Nick, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 2, 2006 #1 of 13
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "EchoStar won't pay to deliver broadcast channels"

EchoStar's move to restore Lifetime channels to its DISH
    Network service also included a key retrans deal.

The satellite TV company said its new program carriage
    arrangement with Lifetime, announced by the companies early
    Wednesday, includes carriage under retransmission consent for
    28 Hearst-Argyle stations. EchoStar had entered into a
    separate retransmission consent agreement with Hearst-Argyle
    before the close of 2005, but the broadcaster and satellite
    TV company stripped that deal this week as part of the new
    carriage agreement between EchoStar and Lifetime.

In a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Hearst Argyle
    said the new agreement with EchoStar is similar to the
    previous deal, except that EchoStar will not pay cash
    consideration for delivery of the broadcast channels.

After weeks of public bickering, EchoStar and Lifetime reached
    a multi-year agreement that provides for the distribution of
    the flagship Lifetime Television channel and Lifetime Movie
    Network. The two channels were restored to DISH Network
    customers late Tuesday night.

Lifetime Television will return to the America's Top 60 and
    DISH Latino Dos programming packages, while Lifetime Movie
    Network will be available in America's Top 180 package.

EchoStar took down the channels on Dec. 31 after the two
    companies couldn't reach a carriage agreement.

www.SkyReport.com - used with permission

2. Feb 2, 2006 #2 of 13
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I saw that as well. It is interesting since we had read that a separate retransmission agreement was struck. But I guess that nothing we hear in connection with this dispute should be taken at face value.

3. Feb 2, 2006 #3 of 13
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    It appears to me that Charlie really won this one. He didn't have to put up a third Lifetime channel. He retained the two he had. He got retransmission rights at no expense for channels he had been paying for. I would love to see the total contract.

4. Feb 2, 2006 #4 of 13
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I would love tos ee it too but I suspect we never will. All we know is no cash for the broadcast ststions. Not much more ---we are not even sure about the ultimate fate of LRW carriage.

5. Feb 2, 2006 #5 of 13
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    I am now beginning to disagree.

If, as stated in another post, Hearst-Argyle was receiving 45 cents per subscriber/month, and Hearst ripped up this contract, it is obvious they'd only do so in their best interest. So, if ripping up the retrans agreement to get higher dollars for Lifetime was in their best interest, Hearst did it. However, I believe that Ergen won the battle, as Lifetime Movie Network is in a large tier, and that Lifetime Real Women is not available on his system.

However, Dish Network may be losing the war. Dish Network has been standing in front of Congress, deriding the fact that programmers bundle their programming. Now we have clear proof that Dish Network would rather have a bundle of programming from a company than separate agreements for individual properties.

And the broadcast industry will be chomping at the bit to sign up local channels at 45 cents per head.

This, to me, is dangerous ground.

6. Feb 2, 2006 #6 of 13
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I respectfully disagree. The previous retrans Dish nailed down served notice that Charlie was willing to dump Lifetime. It's even possible that this standalone retrans included language to render it inoperative in the event Lifetime returned. If other stations try for 45 cents, Charlie can tell them that's the no-bundling rate. :)

The simple explanation is that Lifetime was so desparate to get back on Dish before Charlie's "permanent" deadline that it traded everything it had in exchange for staying on AT60. That might not be what really happened, but it matches what we know.

7. Feb 2, 2006 #7 of 13
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  8. Feb 2, 2006 #8 of 13
    mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    TNGTony is reporting a rumor that Lifetime Real Women is coming on 2/15.

9. Feb 2, 2006 #9 of 13
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Yes, but there are quite a few station groups that don't have another property to bundle. This would include Sinclair, with over 50 stations.

According to the news report, the new agreement between Hearst and Dish Network scrapped the old retrans agreement. This agreement contains all of Hearst's properties, bundled. Thus, a la carte was probably more expensive than the Hearst bundle. And I keep trying to tell everyone a la carte won't be cheaper! :)

Maybe notice was served to Lifetime and Hearst. Rumors are Lifetime Real Women may be added to Dish Network shortly. If this is the case, I still reserve judgment on who caved.

I honestly thought that Hearst/Lifetime caved. Now I am not so sure. The end result is they both needed each other, so coming to an agreement was imperative.

10. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I agree. If LRW is added as part of the deal, then it sounds more like some kind of fair, give-and-take kind of agreement. Inconceivable! :D

11. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Carload is right. everyone keeps looking at in terms of who won or who caved. Maybe they reacheda mutually satisfactory deal that benefis both companies and the vierers.

I negotiate for a living. If I treted negotiations like people refer to them here I would probably never settle anything.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Uh Why are there two WES in AT 180?

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    One of the We stations is in free view for the month along with the Encore Love channel and Oxygen too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.