1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return Offer Too Good To Pass Up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Dood, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Dood

Dood Legend

Mar 16, 2006
    After reading the suggestions seen on other threads here, I was able to score a pretty good deal to return to DirecTV.

I was a loyal customer for 8 years or so, but when I upgraded my entertainment system to HD and surround, DirecTV didn't want to work with me, so I went over to the dark side and signed up for Dish Network.

Having made the decision to return to DirecTV, I called them several times and was able to get this deal as a returning customer. (I have been gone about 1 year)

--18 month commitment--

2 each HD-DVR - Free
    2 each HD receivers - Free
    Plus HD DVR programming package - $49.99 month for 18 months
    HBO/Showtime/Starz - 6 months free
    An extra set of 5 HD channels - Free for 12 months
    Free HD access for 18 months
    Free installation with multi-switch

I am happy with this deal.

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Wish I got that kinda deal when I originally signed up... :lol:

Nice work man! :)

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I would be too however I'm thinking that this does not exist. They cannot change the commitment date it's built into the system. The discounts for winbacks are rebates and instant that last for 12 mo. There is no HD access free for 18 mo.

So the $18 rebate, must be submitted, and the $5 instant rebate will take it to the $49.99 price for Plus HD DVR. However it's for 12 mo not 18.

HBO/Starz/Sho are 3 mo. There is not a 6 mo option for HBO.

The equipment is possible if you live in an mpeg 4 area as they don't have standard mpeg 4 ird's yet however if you ordered a second dvr it's probably going to be an R-22.

So if you really think you got that deal I would call up and cancel it because it's not real.

4. Dood

Dood Legend

Mar 16, 2006

You scared me a bit so I called DirecTV and you are partially right - the offer is for 12 months programming and not 18 months. But the HBO/Showtime/Starz is correct.

5. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

I 2nd this emotion,,it will be a 24 mos committment , not 18, the programming discounts are also questionable

6. frytzz

frytzz Cool Member

Sep 9, 2008
    DTV website says the hbo/starz etc is for 3 months only.......You might want to check
    again......

Brian

7. Dood

Dood Legend

Mar 16, 2006

This was offered by the retention group. It is what it is.

8. thestaton

thestaton Legend

Aug 14, 2008
    excellent deal. welcome back to D*, I think the only thing you'll miss is how awesome the DVR's are for E*.

let us know how the install goes.

9. Dood

Dood Legend

Mar 16, 2006
    The E* HD-DVR is the reason I am leaving. In the course of 11 months I had to return 4 units because of sound drops during recorded playback.

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Hope the Directv HD-DVR is more to your liking, there is lots of bashing of it around here, but many people are very happy overall with it.

Personally I much prefer it to the Dish HD-DVRs (used Dish HD-DVRs at work for years).

11. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Welcome back to DirecTV.That is a good deal. :)
    In regards to the debating over the 12 and 18 month programming deals,IMO the best thing to do is keep an eye on your billing.
    Welcome back and enjoy. :)

12. Ralph_M

Ralph_M New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    yay for you

13. rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with E's HD DVRs. I loved the vip722 when I was with E. As far as functionality the vip722 can't be beat. I hope that you like the hr series with D. I personally don't like them but I had to go with D or cable so I chose D. The programming and picture quality with D is outstanding though! It sounds like you got a great deal!

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If that 18 month commitment is a deal breaker for you, you'd better check again.

The commitment period for any HD and/or DVR equipment is 24 months. Only standard-def, non-DVR receivers carry an 18 month commitment and commitment periods are not something DirecTV makes deals on, period.

You got a great deal and hopefully 18 versus 24 isn't going to make any difference because you'll be around at least that long anyway, but I would certainly not count on your commitment period being 18 months.