1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning a Leased HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mcbeevee, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I replaced a HR20 with a HR24 last week, but still have not received an empty box to return the HR20. When I did this a few months ago, I had the empty box the next day, but that was when Directv was using Fedex. I think I read here that they have switched to USPS. How long should it take to get the empty box with USPS?

:)

2. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    You may not get a box, I deactivated an HR20 about 6 or 7 weeks ago and never got a box. When I called they said they didn't want it back.

3. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I've run into it before, and had to call them 2 or 3 times. Unless they tell you to keep it, call them back. Don't want any HW charges.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When I deactivated my HR20-700 a few months ago, the CSR said that it was shown on my account as "owned" and I didn't need to return it. Now I have a spare.

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The CSR did say my old HR20-700 was leased, and they would be sending a box. Was curious how long it takes to get the box now that Directv has switched to USPS.

6. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Swerving slightly off topic but using this as an example: Assume you are on autopay to qualify for the $10 HD credit and DirecTV fails to send a return box then later their system discovers you have not returned the failed receiver and they decide to assess you a fee for not returning it.

Assuming DirecTV then charges your bank account/credit card, what might be the procedure for straightening it out since DirecTV would already have your money?

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Escalate and see if you can get new credits to offset the credits you never got plus credits for pain, suffering and forever looking over your shoulder because of autopay.

8. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    or, "Why you should use a credit card for autopay, instead of a debit card/checking account"

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I had to return a leased HR20-100 a month ago. Not a replacement situation, just deactivated that one receiver. I had to call three times to confirm that a return kit was on the way (it was not ordered successfully when I deactivated the receiver). It took close to a week from the time they confirmed that it was ordered before I received it. Keep a record of the tracking numbers, and when it shows as delivered, call again until you can get them to confirm that their system shows it was successfully returned.

I've seen at least one report where the tracking showed it was delivered to their return center, but had not been shown as received by DirecTV because they hadn't actually confirmed the contents yet.

It's a pain to have to keep on top of it, but I did that to ensure I didn't get nailed with an erroneous non-return fee.

If I recall correctly, the return kit was success fully ordered on June 30, I got it about a week later and dropped it off at the post office the next day and it was July 17th before it actually was confirmed as returned on their system.

10. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    DirecTV still uses FedEx for deliveries to the customer. They use USPS to pick up the returns but the returns are delivered to a FedEx pick up point so it's actually a hybrid return system.

11. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I don't have and will never have a debit card and disputing a charge with AmEx recovers your funds immediatly during the dispute process. Meanwhile when AmEx debits the money from DirecTV your account could easily be considered past due or worse and have your service interrupted.

There's no question that the larger beneficiary of autopay is DirecTV not the customer.

12. jp41

jp41 Cool Member

Jun 14, 2007
    When I returned a standard def receiver I called twice and finally had to email requesting the return box. I immediately got a response to the email and they gave me three months of Showtime for the hassle (I didn't request this, they just added it).

13. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I've been a customer since '97, and have never had to ship a receiver back since the lease model took over. I've had 3 blowouts since going HD a little over 3 years ago, but they always want to send a tech out, which is fine by me. They always change out the receiver, and seem to have only new stuff on their trucks, although there is really no evidence the new stuff lasts longer than a refurb.:lol:

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Either way, they will extract the money from you.

It is a whole lot harder to reverse a electronic bank transfer than it is a credit card payment.

15. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    After my 2nd call to Directv, I finally got the return box 2 days later. Took it to the post office today...hope the tracking numbers are right!

16. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007

Track # is same for both USPS and FedEx.
    Input the # at USPS Tracking first.
    This will show progress from them to FedEx pickup.
    After a couple days, input the # at FedEx Tracking.
    Should be just a bit from you to Memphis.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Interlining (transfers from one carrier to another) is rarely a good thing for the consumer. Regrettably, it is the new business model for parcel shipping.

18. ROlsonAZ

ROlsonAZ Cool Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I made 4 attempts to return a HR20. The first two times I was told that a return kit would be shipped and I would receive it shortly. The third time I called the "disconnect" people and explained the problem. They changed the status of the receiver from leased to owned so I wouldn't be charged for not returning the equipment, then they ordered a return kit for me once again. More time passed and the return kit didn't arrive so I called a 4th time. This time I was told that they didn't want the old receiver back - it was mine to do with I want with it. I told them that it actually was a leased unit and that someone had simply changed its status in their system to "owned" in order to help me avoid any non-return fees. They said it didn't matter - they didn't want it back. Fair enough.

19. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Once it shows up as "owned", it is yours. Keep it as a spare (as I did), sell it or take the hard drive out of it for use in a computer (which I did years ago with my R15). I don't know why they changed the status of my HR20 to owned, but I didn't see any need to argue the point.

When I got the HR20 (in early 2007) they sent a return kit for my H20. It didn't show up for over a week and I took it to the nearest FedEx office the next day. I checked my account online (I have autopay) an it showed a non return charge a few days later, but when I checked the tracking number, it showed that it had been delivered to Directv the same day. I called and the CSR said they would recheck. A few days later, the charge was had been removed from my account (it was a few weeks before the payment date, so nothing was actually charged to my credit card).

20. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Interesting that they are not wanting HR20s back anymore. Double interesting that they are changing them from leased to owned when "they never do that" according to the ACDT.

Looks like the old workhorse is finally being retired.