1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning customer.. Dropouts during the Voice last night?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ShinerDraft, May 15, 2013.

1. ShinerDraft

ShinerDraft AllStar

Jan 10, 2008
    Hi, after a 21 month hiatus where I couldn't have DTV due to living in a townhome, I'm once again in a real house and had my service set up last Friday. I'm in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

With the move I haven't been able to watch very much, but my wife was trying to watch The Voice results show last night and there were tons of drop-outs where the screen simply went black with no sound. It was fairly sparse to begin with so she just FFW'd, but by the mid-point of the show it was unwatchable.

Due to large trees near my house, I was a bit worried about LOS, but the installer said it's fine and this hasn't happened on anything else that we've watched or recorded. It was pretty windy yesterday, but I don't really know if that could be a problem.

Any thoughts? Did anyone else in the MSP area have this issue with The Voice?

2. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    It's not your equipment, but apparently a conflict in a Time Base Corrector somewhere in the NBC/DirecTV chain. The dropouts and audio phase shifting are terrible, and it is worse in the live shows than the pre-records. I was told 2 years ago by a friend of mine that works for NBC LA that they were aware of the problem, go figure....

It doesn't help that the 5.1 Audio mix is horrible. I always dump it back down to standard stereo.

Kevin

3. ShinerDraft

ShinerDraft AllStar

Jan 10, 2008
    I actually had the same problem, even worse, last night watching hockey and a few other things from different channels. I went to my other TV which has the genie remote/extender box (not sure what it's called) and the recordings were all fine.. hmm.. So it's not a problem with the networks or my signal.

So i suspect a loose HDMI connection.. nope. Plugged in tight on both ends.
    So I suspect a bad HDMI cable. Nope, I tried 3 separate cables and multiple ports on my TV.

It is definitely an HDMI signal loss problem though. The issue got worse & worse until my TV just said that there was an HDMI connection but no signal. I changed over to component cables, and things worked fine.

By the way, my TV is a Samsung UN60ES6100.

Any thoughts? Do I just have a bad Genie receiver?

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Try swapping this "bad" Receiver with one of your good Receivers. If the problem stays with the "bad" Receiver, you can be pretty sure it's defective. If the problem stays in its room, then something might be wrong your TV. . Let us know what you find.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have voice dropouts on my local channel 11, CBS quite often.
    I also have them on ESPN and the Golf channel and Speed channel.

I have gotten used to filling in my own word or words as the case may be.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I did not know you had that talent… ;)

7. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    What happens between NBC feed and the local stations has NOTHING to do with the stations to DirecTV feed. The issue in LA was due to the ASI fiber feed from KNBC to DirecTV.

The issue the OP listed was local and certainly not originating at KARE or everyone, regardless of off air or provider, would have had the same dropouts.