1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning subscriber Whole Home ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Ether, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1 of 10
    Ether

Ether New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Long time DTV subscriber until a little over a year ago and used whole Home via Ethernet that worked quite well. As I'm going through some recent threads it seems that the Ethernet option is no longer supported and I should instead expect the installer to connect me via DECA when he arrives this Friday.

Is this a correct observation? If so, can someone explain why Directv went to DECA as a standard and will I be happy with the performance of this configuration as opposed to Ethernet which worked just fine before?

Thanks

2. Jul 2, 2012 #2 of 10
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    WH over ethernet is still an option, though officially "unsupported." If you order DIRECTV with WHDVR service the technician will install your receivers and network them through DECA then activate WHDVR service.

If you order DIRECTV without WHDVR, then the tech. will install the receivers without DECA networking and leave it to you as an option to later connect them through ethernet then call and activate WH service in unsupported status.

3. Jul 2, 2012 #3 of 10
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As far as your other question goes DirecTV went with DECA because it is easier for them. The techs are already trained on how to run/terminate RG6 coax cable, using DECA they don't have to worry about teaching them how to run/terminate Cat5/6 cables. It also makes the system much easier for them to troubleshoot as they just make sure the DECA system is running correctly, they don't have to try to troubleshoot and train people for all the different ethernet network devices and setups that different people may have in their homes.

4. Jul 2, 2012 #4 of 10
    Ether

Ether New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Thanks guys. The ease of installation and standardizing on a system they can control makes sense. My dish and wiring are still in place so I don't anticipate much difficulty with the install. I'll let the installer do his thing and see if DECA performs to my expectation.

5. Jul 2, 2012 #5 of 10
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    DECA should perform as good or better than using your home network for Whole Home. The idea of the Whole Home being in its own little cloud keeps normal network traffic from interfering with it.

- Merg

6. Jul 2, 2012 #6 of 10
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Whole home via ethernet was never supported.

7. Jul 2, 2012 #7 of 10
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    All installs now include deca even if whole home is not ordered. There is a line item on the work "mrv enabled" when that line is closed that flags the account as ready to go mrv at just a flip of the switch. If the tech didnt install the equipment needed and the customer calls to add mrv, then it doesnt work they open a service call.

8. Jul 2, 2012 #8 of 10
    Ether

Ether New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Understood. Poor wording on my part.

I was part of the beta a few years ago and it worked well. It's encouraging to read that DECA will perform fine.

9. Jul 3, 2012 #9 of 10
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Thanks for the correction;

Guess I should have surmised as much, particularly given that most new installs nowadays are likely the HR24, H25, and HR34 anyway which all have internal DECAs.

So beyond maybe installing a CCK, its not like its any real additional labor or potentially wasted DECA gear involved in most cases to make them all WH ready without actual MRV activation ... :)

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think this may be due to the change to ARS, that combines the HD, DVR, MRV fees.