1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Rev" Robertson on Sharon

Discussion in 'The OT' started by billpa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 30
    billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    More rightwing Christian nonsense from the top nut...

From the AP:

The Reverend Pat Robertson says Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's massive stroke could be God's punishment for giving up Israeli territory. The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network told viewers of ``The 700 Club'' that Sharon was ``dividing God's land,'' even though the Bible says doing so invites ``God's enmity.''

more at:

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=4324357&nav=23ii

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 30
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Once again he shows himself for the true cretin he is. Judge for yourself the mental acuity of his followers!

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 30
    Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Oh Jeez, and I thought it was God's punshment for him oppressing the Arabs... which nut are we supposed to believe?

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 30
    AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Clearly, it's for the sin of gluttony!

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 30
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Let ye without porcine avatar cast the first stone!

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 30
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    On behalf of all right-wing, conservative Christians on this board, please let me apologize for the comments of Pat Robertson. Apparently someone for got to lock the cage we put him in after the Chavez commentary :nono2:

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 30
    n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    But he speaks only for himself. I read this today on CNN and just laughed. It's like something off the onion. What amazes me is that he still gets air time. Does he do this for show or do you think he really believes this crap? (I'm afraid he really believes this crap).

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 30
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Unfortunately he is still able to do this because there are people who believe what he says. If he had no viewers, nobody sending in donations, he would quickly be off the air. Further proof to me that there are many Old Testament "Christians" in America.

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 30
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "...old testicle Christians?"

"Reverend" Pat Robertson is no more a "reverend" than I am an Olympic high-jumper. God doesn't 'call" idiots to the foolishness of preaching the Gospel, or does He? :confused:

Open Mouth, Insert Foot. Repeat. :rolleyes:

10. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    them old geezers are slippery sometimes....:D

I'm not sure he realizes what actually comes out of his mouth sometimes. But then, everyone else suffers from the same affliction from time to time. He just gets his remarks repeated 1000 times on news shows and blogs. So is he crazy or crazy like a fox? Any, I agree with you and n8 and.... on this one.

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Nick, are you having another stroke? I didn't say anything about testicles, Robertson's ordination standing, or God calling idiots to preach the gospel. My comment was only to point out that the idiot on TV must have idiots at home willing to send him money, or he wouldn't be on TV. Old Testament Christians are what I call "Christians" who spend more time calling down God's wrath on people they don't agree with, like some Old Testament prophet, than proclaiming a Savior who came to change us through love.

12. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    we don't need yet another thread to further debate views on God - but you also need to note that God is also a God of justice and clearly will judge the world. Its chapter and verse. God cannot lie - so His promise to do just that either is real (which I believe) or He has lied. But the key is balance - God has a loving, forgiving nature, desires good for us, is patient but will not tolerate sin. You cannot dwell entirely on one side and ignore the other. Problems occur when one is out of balance - and you can get into just as much trouble dwelling on God's goodness and love and ignoring what He says are the consequences of rebellion and you can get from hellfire and brimstone raining down, ignoring the cry from God's heart that we all repent and receive the one way given us to life.

Interesting is that Robertson's comments dwell on the old covenant with Israel (at least the little I've read of Robertson's comments). I wonder if orthodox judeaism agrees with Robertson?

13. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    God cannot lie

Interesting take there. Do you not believe in an omnipotent diety? I have no doubts that such a God has the ability to lie. I think a better interpretation would be that God chooses not to lie.

His promise to do just that either is real (which I believe) or He has lied.

There are several ways in which the promise isn't real, but that doesn't mean God lied. It could simply be that what we know today is a misinterpretation or misunderstanding of what God intended. Revelation for instance is intepreted widely by different people, not all of which believe its any sort of prophesy.

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Hence the reason I call Robertson and people who agree with him "Old Testament (Testament=Covenant)" Christians.

15. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    He "realizes" enough to have built one of the largest, most powerful media empires on the planet, broadcasting on nearly every continent and trading properties with the likes of ABC, Rupert & Co. and others in a game of real-life Monopoly! And let's not forget he was at one time considered a very serious candidate for the GOP Presidential nomination.

As Bogy points out, he must still have a substantial audience, or he would have sold the PTL and 700 Club and concentrated his money on his gold mines in Liberia.

I suspect there's at least a little bit of publicity seeking here. He knows he'll get a lot of press when he makes these outrageous statements. He also know his core followers will not be put off by it and the controversy will end up with more cash in his coffers. More important, he's gets his vile rhetoric into the public dialog.

Whatever you think of Sharon, it's hard to imagine a more dedicated protector of Israel. Pat's vision is God has rewarded this soldier with a massive, debilitating stroke for his sincere efforts on Israel's behalf. That would seem to make Pat's God pretty cruel, vindictive and unappreciative of effort on His behalf. And that's why Pat's God will never be mine!

16. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Just for a point of clarification - PTL was/is owned by another teleevangalist - originally Jim Baker if I remember correctly. He went to prison for a bit where he seemed to actually meet God. If I recall his comments and such after prison, he seems a guinuinely changed man understanding his error and repentant. Not sure I can say the same for Tammy Fae from what I've heard. As to your last comment - the failings of the messenger does not necessarily negate the message.

17. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    well, the message in this case is that Sharon is being punished by God...It's a failure on both counts.

18. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Point taken. These are details I admit to not paying that much attention to. If I recall, it was Jerry Falwell that took over the remnants of PTL now that you mention it.

But, as billpa has astutely observed, in this case it seems to be an utter failure of both the messenger and message!

19. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    My question is if God is so vengeful as Robertson attests to him being, then how come he is still allowed to walk, talk, and breath on this earth? IMHO he gets my vote for president of the country of Nut-case!

20. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Wow, You go away for a few days and you come back to find out that the old testament has testicles and that some people wonder what Orthodox jews think caused Sharon's stroke.

I guess it is pretty much the same as it was before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.