1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reversed Monopoles

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ndole, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I got a report today that some shipments of monopoles have been coming in reversed. The foot end (with the inside piece) is attached to the larger outside piece, thereby creating a large reservoir for water to collect in the outside telescoping portion of the monopole. This will get to be an issue if/when (depending on where you live) the water freezes. The thought there being that the ice will act as a hydraulic ram, and shove the ODU out of alignment. Keep an eye out for them.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's interesting. Do you have a link?

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You don't believe him? :lol:

Thanks for the tip, I could see how that could be an issue.

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The folks putting the stuff in the boxes are screwing up. Perhaps they could outsource the work off-shore back to North America. There, if you run an ad for box fillers you will get qualified applicants.

Joe

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Hell, you might get out of work attorneys and CEO's. :lol:

6. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Probably...but using those guys can be a pain in the ass. "Sir, according to the OSHA regulations for this operation we are entitled to a ten minute break...and the noise level is really quite high. . ."

What is wanted is...."Men, the time clock is for company use only, you report at seven every morning and start work. Eight hours later you report to the time clock for out punching...then go back to work......at seven you go home...any questions?

Shakespeare suggested hanging all the lawyers. We could do with fewer. Any CEO that did not found the company should be limited to a ratio between his money and that of the lowest paid new employee..IMHO. Bonuses should come for actually doing something.

But I digress.

Juan, put the rods in the box the other way. Snow may affect their operation.
    Si!...Por favor, como, "snow?"
    Never mind.

Besides:

Yo, manager man what is this back charge for defective monopole installation ...$90.00?

Well, we had a problem with one of your installations. The monopole filled with water and iced up knocking off the signal. The tech we sent reassembled the pole, repeaked the dish and kissed the customers' ass for the service outage.

That pole came out of the box like that!

You are the professional. You should have looked at the training film on the pole and seen the problem.

$90.00...that ain't right! It was dark when I put it on.

Sue us...get out of my office.

Joe

7. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    This is why I posted in the first place. To save everyone (myself included) some time and heartache all winter/spring.

8. Dec 3, 2010 #8 of 32
    hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    That's funny. I did notice that starting a couple of months ago and thought it was yet another monopole "revision" . The potential ice problem never occurred to me. If I get charged back because of this I will go balistic. Hurling all of the dishes and receivers out of my van into the parking lot usually gets bs chargebacks like this reversed.

9. Dec 4, 2010 #9 of 32
    RWeis

RWeis New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ice? What's that?

Bob Weis

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It's those little cubes floating in your TEA in Florida.:)

11. dustman81

dustman81 New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Yesterday, I had to have my dish re-peaked because of this exact issue. They had to replace the monopole as the old one was full of water. The tech said this has been an ongoing issue.

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
  13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    It has to do with the ratio of chiefs to indians. Recently it has also concerned the ratio of chiefs to assistant chiefs and tribe consultants.

Funny it is not.

I (we) send our kids off to college at great expense & future debt to fill positions that no longer exist. More and more often than I like to admit the results of off shore functions are cheaper, better and faster than (almost said labor union controlled) North American business environment.

Joe

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    True. They're growing, we're not. Ask Detroit what they think about Labor.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I saw Detroit.......smoking crater!

I wonder what India, China & The Pacific Rim will thing of organized labor?
    Mexico seems to be losing their heads over it.

Joe

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Don't forget the bullet holes in... EVERYTHING! Flint, MI which is just north of Detroit isn't much better. I had a fellow service tech get robbed there a couple of days ago. He pulled over to grab his meter out of the back of his van, two guys slammed the doors on him, jumped into the cab and took everything.

17. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    When this first happened (month or 2 ago), I pointed this out to our Site Manager who agreed and pointed it out to the FOM, who forwards it to engineering. Don't expect changes fast... How long did it take them to get rid of the barrels at the back of the KA/KU dish? And don't even get me started about switching back to the 7/16 galvanized nuts & bolts on the monopoles from the 1/2 stainless. :nono2:

18. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It's been fixed for about a week.

You're STILL supposed to use a barrel at the back of the KaKu regardless. If not, you're not aligning it correctly. Once you remove the LNB, it requires re-dithering.

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Wish they still had the pigtails. Kinda hard to do it the proper way when the warehouse nazis refuse to give out barrels.

20. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    Semitruck showed up at the warehouse today with the same setup for the monopoles. I was referring to the four barrels (aka Pigtails). And for the the record, I DO NOT ALIGN THE KA/KU CORRECTLY, however, I've never gotten tripped up by IV and I feel good knowing that none of my customers have a barrel at the end of their LNB arm!