1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Review of the new HDTV Tivo vs. Microsoft's Media Center

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Thomas Hawk, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk New Member

Aug 5, 2004
  2. aaronwt

aaronwt Legend

Aug 14, 2003
    Northern...
    Does the Media Center Edition record HD?

3. Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    No, the Media Center Edition does not record HD. This is part of the problem.

4. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    MCE HD is coming. And that's all I know.

5. Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I sincerely doubt it any time soon... although this would be a nice surprise.

Tom

6. vreegvfd

vreegvfd Guest

a couple of inaccuracies:

DVD player.. you say MCE wins because Tivo doesn't have one, but then say MCE's has never worked right for you.. If it doesn't work right then best case is they both tie for last IMHO.

tivo community is one of the most active user groups out there. certainly bigger than anything that exists for MCE.

You can get a DirecTV service plan for $7.99/month which covers ALL boxes in your house. If your HD Tivo breaks down you just have them ship you a new one. And it covers ALL receivers in your house, even if you have 6+ HD Tivos.

Overall it was a fairly decent look at things, though again you fail to mention or at least make any importance of the factor that MCE can't record HD. Also the above issues were wrong.

7. Flyboy917

Flyboy917 Legend

Oct 24, 2003
    My two cents:
    Media Center PC's are the lazy mans means to Home Theater PC (HTPC).
    Yes it's really nice to have an OS geared (out of the box) to home theater/media and maybe someday they WILL be the cats meow. But if you are willing to spend the time, effort, and $$$ you can build an HTPC that will do EVERYTHING nicely. No, it will never be a Tivo...unless your HTPC is linux based and you......well, we won't go there.

Anyhow, I'm off on a tangent...there are lot's of PVR's out there now from lots of companies. There is not one of them that comes close to Tivo. Period.

Hmmm. With Tivo's future in question, I wonder if marketing their software to HTPC users has ever been considered???

Flyboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.