1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Rewind button hacks?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Arya Stark, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Arya Stark

Arya Stark Cool Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I have the HR44 and I love it, but the one thing I really dislike is how little it rewinds when you press the curvy rewind button. I came from Dish and however much the Hopper rewinds when you press that button seemed perfect. The Genie seems like it only rewinds 2 seconds or something like that. If you use 30SKIP and accidentally press it an extra time or two, you have to hit rewind like 10 times!

Are there any hacks or ways around this? It would be cool if you could somehow set the amount of time it would go back for each press of the button.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're really asking about the replay button (officially 6 seconds back) as opposed to the rewind button, right?

3. Arya Stark

Arya Stark Cool Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Yes, I guess so. But it's seriously 6 seconds? Wow, it seems a lot less than that! I think Dish's replay button was 7 seconds. Can't believe 1 second makes that much of a difference!

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    And there are no "hacks" for that feature.

5. Arya Stark

Arya Stark Cool Member

Mar 17, 2012
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps using programmable remote like JP-1 ?

7. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    It's not the remote but the DVRs response to the command, so using a JP-1 (which is what I have) doesn't make a difference.

OTOH, you could use a JP-1 (or other programmable) remote to make a macro that whenever you pushed the 6-second rewind it would send it twice to rewind 12 seconds.

SMK

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I agree with you. I just went from an HR21 to the HR44 and the replay button on the 44 definitely appears to go back less than it did on the 21.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, there's a difference. If you are unsure about the number of 30 second stacks to push, it's faster to hit FF 3x and hit Play at the right moment.

10. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
  11. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I just got a Genie as well and the jump back does seem very short, even like 5 or perhaps even just 4 seconds. Not complaining, just noticed and it has thrown off my timing a little. Something else to get used to, I guess.