1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Rewiring my system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by KC2LLW, Oct 15, 2013.

1. KC2LLW

KC2LLW AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Hello,
    I have added on to my home and want to rewire my DTV system. I currently have 6 tv's 2 regular SD dvr's and 4 HD dvr's I have a slimline 3 LNB with 4 wires coming into a zinwell W68 then split to another W68 to feed 2 lines to each dtv dvr receiver boxes. I will be adding 3 more tv's in the new addition HD dvr's so I will have a total of 9 dvr's. I was thinking about changing out my LNB for a SWM SL3 LNB buying a SWM 16 MS with 2-8 way SWM splitters and running 1 wire to all the receivers, would the 29volt power inverter work on the SWM SL3 LNB? This would also alow me to run one wire in from the outside dish and clean up the wiring on the outside. Am I on the right track? I want to do the work myself as I enjoy it.
    Thanks for your help.
    Steve

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    A receiver has one tuner, a DVR has two tuners. An SWM16 multiswitch is capable of feeding a maximum of 16 tuners. Also, any external multiswitch including the SWM16 requires all 4 coax from the dish, so you don't want to change your LNB.

What you need to do is run two multiswitches in parallel. This can be two SWM switches if all of your receivers are SWM capable, or you can run an SWM and one of your existing WB68's in parallel. That is not a system that DirecTV will support, but it works just fine. Run the four coax from the dish to four wide-band dual port power passing splitters. From the outputs of the splitters run coax to each of the multiswitch inputs. You need to keep them in the proper order (both outputs of one splitter need to go to the same input on both multiswitches). This is actually how you should have wired your WB68's, cascading them is not recommended.

If your SD DVRs are R15's they won't work on SWM. If they are R16's they will.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    More to the point, you CANNOT cascade SWiM gear. You can cascade the splitters (up to eight tuners per cable), but it ends there.

I highly recommend rethinking the whole 9 DVR thing in favor of some manner of Whole Home setup with receivers instead of DVRs. Of course if you believe that double redundancy isn't redundant at all and you have at 6 non-repeating programs that you might want to record in triplicate simultaneously, have at it.

Any way you look at it, nine boxes is going to set you back at least $58/month in hardware fees but the up-front lease-entry cost on DVRs is typically double that of HD receivers.

If the house has become dimensionally very long, the installer will likely be concerned about the cable runs as there are some limits to how much total cable you can hang off of a SWiM port.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While it might not be the best way to do it, you can def cascade a SWM16 of a SWM16, but splitters are preferred.

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We're talking two different configurations here. I got the feeling the TS wanted to extend one cable off a SWiM splitter (based on the comment about using a SWM LNB outfitted dish with a SWM16) as opposed to all of the legacy ports (that may be needed for the SD DVRS). Then again, I suppose of the aforementioned SD DVRs were legacy, they could be connected to the downstream SWM-16 legacy ports.

I view pass-through (something DISH uses commonly) as something different from cascading but I guess their related in this instance.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    DIRECTV uses the term "cascade" to refer to coming from the legacy ports on one SWM into another SWM. It can be done but the input levels to the multiswitches are not the same in that case which can lead to issues if reception is spotty.

However, you cannot cascade from a SWM LNB to another multiswitch. It just plain doesn't work. The best way to to do this is to keep the existing LNB and use approved splitters to split the signal.

I swear someone did a couple of downloadable PDFs full of diagrams that would clarify that. Maybe someone could post a link to them.

BTW, the 29V PI can be used just fine with a SWM LNB.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The TS spoke of the time-honored method of DIRECTV cascading where four outputs of the initial WB68 are routed to the inputs of a second WB68 (second sentence of the OP). As such, I question your "DIRECTV uses the term" statement.

What you speak of is DISH style cascading where the multiswitch features through ports but with very narrow limitations as to what switchgear you can cascade.

As Peds notes, while involving not just a little extra (passive) hardware, paralleling is the preferred method in DIRECTV circles.