1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RF antenna location on HR24 board

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ncsercs, Oct 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    Where is the RF antenna located on the HR24 motherboard?

It sometimes fails to respond to commands. When I get no response, I look at the light in front of the HR24 and see it not blinking when pressing a button on the remote. I see the light on the remote when I press a button. When I move the remote around, it finally responds.

Never had this problem before with the HR21 it replaced. Is it possible there is interference of some sort? Thought RF has no "dead spots". Is it an HR24 issue?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Did you try new batteries?

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Just to be sure, go into the menu for the remote in the HR24 setup and verify that IR is not defaulted on. Mine came with an RF remote but was set for IR in the HR24.

4. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    of course i did

5. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    already did that

6. Jan 4, 2012 #6 of 16
    taoseno

taoseno Cool Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I have the same exact problem w/ the HR24 w/ the RF. Was this issue resolved?

7. Jan 4, 2012 #7 of 16
    allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I too have noticed the HR24-100, at times, will not respond to the RF remote which has new batteries. The setup shows it as RF. I am wondering if the two Linksys network bridges connecting my two HR24's are interfering with the D* RF remote?

8. Jan 4, 2012 #8 of 16
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Just add another one to the list of HR24's with spotty RF control. Obviously RF is always on and new batteries in the remote. I have good response when it works but there are "spots" in the living room that don't respond as well as other spots.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #9 of 16
    rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    Could this be RF interference? I know when we had DISH a long time ago my son's tv's UHF remote worked better when his CFL lights were out but when they were on it would not work well at all.

10. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Have you verified that the problem goes away if you switch the remote back to IR?

The symptoms you list are also present in non-24 systems, and it has always indicated that the box was "busy" and could not process the requested command...in fact if the front panel light doesn't blink (ack'ing the command), then the processor never even sees it.

Just something to consider....

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I agree with hasan. I find the same problem on all DirecTV receivers using IR or RF.

The natural reaction to a receiver not responding to remote commands is to press the button again, most likely multiple times, which only compounds the problem. The receiver just stays busy and looks as dead as a stone.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    The natural reaction must be RBR ! :)

13. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    Never tried it back in IR for his room. It was back when I worked at E** and his tv was on the 2nd tuner of a 625 unit. Trust me, I tried everything including pig tailing out the UHF antenna on the 625. When I switched out his CFL bulbs with incodescent the issue was resolved. Now I have D** and am at another house so hard to double check it in RF under the same conditions.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    It could also be a conflict with frequencies in the house as well. Have you tried using a different code?

15. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    How do you change the RF code on a D* remote? What RF frequency does D* use? I have N and G routers and an iPhone which I think is G. Then there is the 4 5.8 GHz wireless phones and PS3 Bluray.

16. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    No you can't change codes on the RF remote, there is only one. I find the BEST solution is using the network to change channels. I have downloaded an app for my phone, it finds the receivers in the house. I hit the button on the app and boom, it does what I say!!!! LOL but we all knew that.

That being said, has anyone answered the OP's question, where internaly is the RF antenna on the HR24? If we have an owned receiver, is there anything we could tweak to see if that would help? I would be more apt to do that then replace the HDD in my owned HR24.